Time to start thinking about quality, and not quantity

BGA localization discussions
HockeyCeres

Re: Time to start thinking about quality, and not quantity

Post by HockeyCeres »

razorphantom110 wrote: 17 November 2023, 00:06 My god, finally someone says it. I wish I could report players who translate so poorly.
My favorite game, Agricola is completely UNPLAYABLE in my language (Italian). Slowly I am editing them, without taking points since they are "validated". What a shame, what a miserable system.
I'm the thread starter. I'm Italian too. Thank you for your work.
ufm

Post by ufm »

razorphantom110 wrote: 17 November 2023, 00:06 My god, finally someone says it. I wish I could report players who translate so poorly.
My favorite game, Agricola is completely UNPLAYABLE in my language (Italian). Slowly I am editing them, without taking points since they are "validated". What a shame, what a miserable system.
Well, actually you can, with enough evidence that the user didn't bother to correct even after pointing the mistranslations out, or just copypasted or confirmed machine translated texts without proofreading.
abaababa

Post by abaababa »

Yes, I also found a lot of translation problems in my language (Chinese Simplified). There are many unchecked machine translations, and many are just text translations that perform poorly in the game (the translator doesn't know where the translated text appears!). I've done a lot of work fixing translations for my favorite games, but it's just too much work.
abaababa

Post by abaababa »

rexroom wrote: 23 September 2023, 11:54 Any help is appreciated, but so far there's not much community effort. I doubt some of the translators on this site are even aware of the forums, let alone the language specific subsections.
ufm wrote: 23 November 2023, 11:55 Well, actually you can, with enough evidence that the user didn't bother to correct even after pointing the mistranslations out, or just copypasted or confirmed machine translated texts without proofreading.
I think one problem is that the entrance to the revised translation is hidden too deep. It would be much better if you could also quickly jump to the translation page if there was a translation error in the game.
HockeyCeres wrote: 28 September 2023, 08:12 There are too many of them, and most of them just write down things half randomly to rush their points.
Exactly! Many translators seeking for gift points know nothing about the game they are translating. Creating a link between the game page and the corresponding translation page may help provide translations from players who are truly interested in the game, and they are more likely to provide high quality translations that match the game information.

Return to “Translations”