How does Gaia project´s auction works?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Kayvon

Re: How does Gaia project´s auction works?

Post by Kayvon »

Sherros wrote: 07 August 2023, 12:38My confusion is mostly why the bidding seemingly jumps between factions.
It just goes in player order. When it's a player's turn to choose, that player automatically bids on the faction with the largest difference between that player's max bid and the faction's current bid.

Let's take a quick example. Let's say the bids look like this:
* Faction A: Current bid is 4. Your max bid is 6. The difference is 2 (because 6-4 = 2)
* Faction B: Current bid is 2. Your max bid is 5. The difference is 3 (because 5-2 = 3)
* Faction C: Current bid is 0. Your max bid is 0. The difference is 0 (because 0-0 = 0)
When it's your turn to bid in this example, you're going to automatically bid on Faction B because it has the largest difference (3). It's not your max bid that determines which faction you bid on, it's the difference. You'll automatically increase the bid by one, so you'll bid 3 (because it's one higher than the current bid of 2).

If that's super helpful, I can add it to the How To Play wiki. If not, let's figure out what's confusing and talk about it.
Martym

Post by Martym »

While I (think that I) understand step by step how the auction works once bids are done, I'm still trying to figure how to bid.
I mean that, if there are 3 factions, one I absolutely want to avoid, one that I don't really care about and one I want, I have no idea whatmy best course would be. Bet a lot on the third one, bet nothing at all on Lantids (the one I want to avoid) and then ?
If I bet too low on the second faction, I may end up with Lantids because someone outbid me. But I bet too high I would switch to this faction (and possibly pay a lot) due to the difference even if I had the highest bid on my fav faction.

I'm really trying to puzzle what to expect from auction system dependings on the bids I make and so far I'm almost tempted to play without it even though I believe auctions are necessary in that game.
Kayvon

Post by Kayvon »

Like any auction, you can bid extremely high on what you want to win, which will improve your chances of getting it. Of course, if someone else does the same, they will bid you up, even if you win, or potentially bid higher than you.

Your question boils down to the same question players ask themselves in all blind bids. There's no single correct answer without knowing how others will bid. I prefer to just bid as high as I'm willing to pay.
Martym

Post by Martym »

Well, usually in an auction when you bid the highest you win so in the end it's just a matter of assessing how much you're willing to pay, here it's not the case: you can have the highest bid and still get something else because of how you (and other players) bid on other factions.
That's why I'm puzzled and ask for advice on how to bid on "medium" factions (factions I can play but not my fav).
Kayvon

Post by Kayvon »

Like any good board game, the auction system has a set of rules that apply to it and players work within those rules to achieve their goals. You're asking a good strategy question. I can run the numbers and tell you the outcome of a given situation, but I can't tell you the ideal strategy for getting everything you want. That's going to be dependent on your fellow players.

The auction rules are different, for sure, but they're not too complicated. If the difference between your high bid and the current bid is great than the difference for another faction (faction_a_highBid - faction_a_currentBid > faction_b_highBid - faction_b_currentBid), then you'll go after that smaller difference. The way to ensure you keep bidding on faction A is to use an even higher bid, of course. The way to ensure you go after B next is to use a high bid there, too. But if other players bid up on both A and B, it's possible you'll go after C instead.

The auction system is dynamic and will really depend on how other players bid. It makes for some interesting decisions. As far as I'm aware, this is the same system used by the app and the PC implementation as well, though I had no part in designing those.
evilhippo12

Post by evilhippo12 »

Is there any chance that Gaia could get a Standard Auction like we have in TM?
Having the option for a blind auction is nice still. But, I've always preferred when I could see who values what in real time.
Kayvon

Post by Kayvon »

No, there's not. Please see the suggestion thread for a full explanation.
Here is the link to that discussion:
https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=52587

And here's a highlight for those who prefer not to click on the link
Happy Saturday morning. We've completed the implementation of new features that include banning, drafting, and auctions. We've also been in touch with the publisher to receive approval of these optional features.

Months of planning and volunteer hours have gone into making these a top-notch experience. Having said that, we also recognize that no single solution will please everyone. Fortunately, these optional experiences don't replace the core game experience. If you discover this particular implementation isn't for you, we would invite you to continue to enjoy the existing experience supported by the official ruleset.

Enjoy the new features! I look forward to seeing more varied factions in upcoming games!
I encourage you to read the full discussion to see some very strong opinions both ways.

Return to “Gaia Project”