Language Display Issue: LB Prefix and Untranslated Words

BGA localization discussions
Gavrilo Princip

Language Display Issue: LB Prefix and Untranslated Words

Post by Gavrilo Princip »

Hello everyone,

I've noticed something unusual in the last few months... Several months ago, all words and phrases were neatly translated on my language (Serbian) and displayed on the site. However, recently, I've observed that there are a number of phrases in English appearing, even though they were translated a while ago and appearing in my language regularly.

What's particularly puzzling is the presence of the "LB" prefix in front of some of these untranslated phrases, along with an underscore ( _ ) between each word. Does anyone have insights into what might be causing this selective occurrence, and how it can be resolved?
Nastaa

Re: Language Display Issue: LB Prefix and Untranslated Words

Post by Nastaa »

Hello
Gavrilo Princip wrote: 15 December 2023, 13:29 I've noticed something unusual in the last few months... Several months ago, all words and phrases were neatly translated on my language (Serbian) and displayed on the site. However, recently, I've observed that there are a number of phrases in English appearing, even though they were translated a while ago and appearing in my language regularly.
Are you sure these are the same strings as before and not modified versions? Sometimes there are updates which require to translate some strings (and some might look very similar to older ones).
Gavrilo Princip wrote: 15 December 2023, 13:29 What's particularly puzzling is the presence of the "LB" prefix in front of some of these untranslated phrases, along with an underscore ( _ ) between each word. Does anyone have insights into what might be causing this selective occurrence, and how it can be resolved?
In my understanding, strings starting by "LB_" are variable names, so should not be translated. Here is some info I found on it for developers:
WARNING: do not use a variable called {LB_[whatever]} as any variable starting with LB_ will interfere with the translation system.
(Source: https://en.boardgamearena.com/doc/Game_ ... mename.tpl)
cigma

Post by cigma »

Gavrilo Princip wrote: 15 December 2023, 13:29 Several months ago, all words and phrases were neatly translated on my language (Serbian) and displayed on the site. However, recently, I've observed that there are a number of phrases in English appearing, even though they were translated a while ago and appearing in my language regularly.
I had a similar experience and wrote about it here: https://boardgamearena.com/forum/viewto ... lit=vanish

But since you said:
Gavrilo Princip wrote: 15 December 2023, 13:29 What's particularly puzzling is the presence of the "LB" prefix in front of some of these untranslated phrases, along with an underscore ( _ ) between each word. Does anyone have insights into what might be causing this selective occurrence, and how it can be resolved?
I guess the English original was changed afterwards by the game developer and thus has to be translated again. Unfortunately this background can't be checked from outside.
Nastaa wrote: 15 December 2023, 22:06 In my understanding, strings starting by "LB_" are variable names, so should not be translated. Here is some info I found on it for developers:
WARNING: do not use a variable called {LB_[whatever]} as any variable starting with LB_ will interfere with the translation system.
(Source: https://en.boardgamearena.com/doc/Game_ ... mename.tpl)
I think it depends. https://boardgamearena.com/doc/Game_lay ... mename.tpl says: "Things in curly braces are template variables." So it's this {...} which makes a variable. "LB_" only is a variable, if it's written in curly braces, which might not be the case (If I remember correctly, I have seen such texts in some games and they had to be translated).
#zan_zendegi_azadi / #woman_life_freedom
#StandWithUkraine
Language is a source of misunderstanding. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery: The Little Prince) But it is also the source of understanding - it all depends on how you use it. :-)
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

LB_something is a king of variable. There should be a translation for it from English to English, so that you should not see LB_something when translating into any other language. Unfortunately, sometimes there is not English-English translation, so you see LB_something. If you know the meeting, you should translate it into your language (without LB prefix). Additionally, you should suggest an English-English translation, so that the LB_something will not be shown to players and translators any more. (Just change the destination language to English, e.g. for BGA: https://boardgamearena.com/translation? ... l&find=LB_)

For example:
BGA (main site) uses LB_GAMEREADY_MESSAGE_THE_DURATION and there is an English-to-English translation: „The approximate duration of this game is“. If you are translating into your language, you will not see LB_GAMEREADY_MESSAGE_THE_DURATION as source text, but „The approximate duration of this game is“, because this is the current English translation of LB_GAMEREADY_MESSAGE_THE_DURATION. (If there is no English translation for LB_something, you will see LB_something as source text.
cigma

Post by cigma »

Thanks for your explanation, Thomas!
#StandWithUkraine
Language is a source of misunderstanding. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery: The Little Prince) But it is also the source of understanding - it all depends on how you use it. :-)
Gavrilo Princip

Okay with the prefix LB_, tnx for some explanation, but what should I do with a bunch of words that appear in English without the LB_ prefix? 99% of the main page was translated into my language, and all these words were displayed correctly up until recently. Suddenly, most of the main page is showing untranslated content. Only some sequences remain in my language.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Can you name a game where you don‘t get the expected Serbian translated texts? It may help us to identify the cause of the problem.
Gavrilo Princip

Thomas wrote: 18 December 2023, 16:14 Can you name a game where you don‘t get the expected Serbian translated texts? It may help us to identify the cause of the problem.
It's not about any specific game... I speak about complete site, main site especially.
cigma

Post by cigma »

Gavrilo Princip wrote: 19 December 2023, 00:40
Thomas wrote: 18 December 2023, 16:14 Can you name a game where you don‘t get the expected Serbian translated texts? It may help us to identify the cause of the problem.
It's not about any specific game... I speak about complete site, main site especially.
Please comment and vote for this bug report: https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=99816
#StandWithUkraine

Return to “Translations”