Help a 7 wonder beginner that tries to grow bt need information to make it be better

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
JPCJ

Help a 7 wonder beginner that tries to grow bt need information to make it be better

Post by JPCJ »

I’be learned this game with friends and hot, immediately, entusiasta to it. The games are fast, have a lot of player interaction and no luck influence. I am playing a lot and trying to study my games and what I find at internet but I fell that that some “theorical texts”, writing about all the winning strategies that are efficient besides military and science, how to organize the strategy to don’t become stoped by lack of resources and not using more moves to get resource cards…
Also, somo orientation about each wonder power and challenges….

The stuff that I find in internet about this wonderful game seems to me more focused in the top guys and there ater no material to put us, the middle guys, from 200 to 400Elo rating….that could bring more engaged and new people to the community than

Any other way of training at this game that was efficient other people that are ElO 600+
Aechhh

Re: Help a 7 wonder beginner that tries to grow bt need information to make it be better

Post by Aechhh »

I am by no means an expert at the game but here are some quick points to help improve:
  • Have a win condition - You need to decide if you are likely going military, science or hybrid. This should be considered during the first hand and during wonder side selection. Some wonders lend themselves better to military (Rhodos & olympia) while others generally prefer science (Babylon & Haliakarnasos).
  • Ideally you don't want more than 7 "resource" cards - This would include browns/greys/trading posts and some wonder stages (Alexandria). In the long run you won't have time to make the points back if you play too many resources to make it worth it.
  • If nobody is going science, you probably should be - This can only happen if you are at least slightly ready for it, but if everyone is going military you are going to have a tough time, so be flexible.
  • If you can, do not let someone get all 3 sciences in the first age. You will just find it difficult to win as they will be very much ahead.
  • Flexibility is key - If the other players have clearly noticed your strategy and are blocking it by burying the cards you need, it is time to swap strategy. This is mainly true for science players but you can actually hurt your opponents by "bluffing" full green and watching them bury all of it whilst giving up on good cards. 1 set of green is not a bad point ratio per card played.
Obviously, I could go on but hopefully these points are a good start to improve.

Good luck!
Cos-

Re: Help a 7 wonder beginner that tries to grow bt need information to make it be better

Post by Cos- »

JPCJ wrote: 21 December 2023, 04:29 The games are fast, have a lot of player interaction and no luck influence
There is definitely some luck: How the cards are distributed between the hands. And especially, not knowing anything about how the cards will be arranged in the next round, when you're deciding what to do in the current round.

Say you're going for science in round one, and then in round 2 it turns out all 5 science cards (4 player game) are in the same hand - and it's one of the two hands that only goes to you once. You're only going to be able to play one science card in the round 2! Similar effects can happen with military cards - how many are bunched up together in how few hands can determine whether it makes sense to try to beat your neighbors with military or not.
This is one of the reasons you need to be flexible, and able to change strategy based on what you learn as you see more hands of cards.

Return to “7 Wonders”