Am I wrong in these two case? And If I am, could someone tell me why?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
DDDDDarius

Am I wrong in these two case? And If I am, could someone tell me why?

Post by DDDDDarius »

I'm a new player for Hanabi and just lost a game. I just want to know what I do are wrong in the game. The two cases below are happen in a game with all settings standard. And English is not my first language, so please ignore the grammar errors. Sorry for problems I may brought.

Case1 happen when the game just started, all color 1 was played except green, and the green 3 is the only card folded. Clues can be used are abundant. Cards in hands are below
A:green1, yellow1, blue3, white4
B:blue2, green2, red4, green1(clued)
C:white3, white3, green2(clued color),yellow3
me:white1, red1, green3,blue4
To the playerA's turn, he choose to clue C's yellow3 by color. Then B and C play the green1 and 2. In my turn, because I see others dont have yellow3, I think A try to tell me the first card in my hand is yellow2 and want me to play it for C's 3. But it wasn't. I, then C who might think the card is yellow2, make two error.

Case2: cards in deck were red2, yellow3, green4, blue2 and white4. Folded cards were red14, yellow113, green23, blue3 and white1234 (each number means a card folded). Only 7 cards to the game end and useable clues were abundant. Cards in hands are below:
A:blue4, red5, blue1, green1
B:green5, yellow4, blue5, yellow2
C:white1, green4(clued both color and number),blue2, blue1
Me:red4, red2, red1 and blue4
In C's turn, he clued B's blue5 by color. I thought he want to let us play the first in our hand because i saw A's first card is blue4. And I think if there are no blue3 on the board, clue green5 is the better choice because it can be played without waiting other cards. So I just play the first card in the left and run out the only chance for error left.

After the game end, A was pretty mad with me and told me I don't have enough intelligence to play hanabi and uno is the best choice for me. It's quite hurtful, and I don't know whether and why I should get this comment. So, do I really make big mistakes? And am I not suitable for the game? If the second question's answer is yes, I'll give uno another try lol。
Last edited by DDDDDarius on 30 December 2023, 18:12, edited 3 times in total.
Jellby

Re: Am I wrong in these two case? And If I am, could someone tell me why?

Post by Jellby »

Yellow clue was probably a bluff for 2b. Player B should have responded to that. Player C should not have bombed after your bomb.

The blue clue made no sense, and you did right by playing left.
Romain672

Post by Romain672 »

I checked the game, but even if your 4 clue was weird but caused no bomb and no desynchronisation, you are on the right here.

Either Blacksoul though he adressed to another person, or just didn't bother to check who he was talking to.
Or you should just ignore him.
Blacktango

Post by Blacktango »

I agree with what it has been said.

About the Y clue, Blacksoul probably wanted to bluff, yeah. But they shouldn't do that with unknown teammates.
You and Dunggulle have played very few games (although you seem to understand the finesse convention quite well). They should not be enough confident to try such a bluff, here.

Even if a clue is good, in absolute, they should be adapted to the level of understanding of the team. Even if you know very fancy techniques, it doesn't mean you should use them if no one can understand them (yet). That's a hard part of playing on BGA. When you play with a random team, you have to combine what you know with what your teammates probably know.

Return to “Hanabi”