Choosing when to spend a gold

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
KeyboardSmashist

Choosing when to spend a gold

Post by KeyboardSmashist »

I might just be missing this, but how do I choose to use gold instead of a gem?

As an example: I had 2 diamonds and a gold, but I could not figure out how to use 1 diamond and 1 gold to buy the card, the game effectively forced me to use my diamonds first. So, am I just missing how to select what you are using to buy from the table, or is this something that needs to be fixed in the game?
robinzig

Re: Choosing when to spend a gold

Post by robinzig »

What possible motivation could there be for spending a gold on a card that you can afford without using it?
Oami

Post by Oami »

Theoretically, it's possible that this player wants to return gold to the bank, and claim it again next turn, assuming the bank currently has none.

If every other player has three reserved cards, the gold surely won't be claimed by anyone else.
KeyboardSmashist

Post by KeyboardSmashist »

robinzig wrote: 01 July 2023, 12:35 What possible motivation could there be for spending a gold on a card that you can afford without using it?
If I am sitting on let's say 3 emerald and I know my opponent needs emerald for a card they reserved etc, I may want to spend my gold to keep them locked out of emerald. Just another example in addition to what Oami posted.
robinzig

Post by robinzig »

Thanks both - they're both valid situations (if unusual) that I didn't think of.

I can't answer your question directly as I don't have a game of Splendor currently ongoing on BGA (and haven't played for a while).
joops82

Post by joops82 »

If you play casual mode you cannot select what to spend. The system always spends gems first and gold if there is no other option.

If you play competitor mode you can choose what to spend.

On casual mode you also get highlighted in green when you have enough resources to buy a card. On competitor mode you don't get such clues
lucchefede

Post by lucchefede »

This is possible. You can choose it by changing your own in-game settings!
Meeplelowda

Post by Meeplelowda »

joops82 wrote: 06 July 2023, 00:27 If you play casual mode you cannot select what to spend. The system always spends gems first and gold if there is no other option.
This is only the default for casual mode. It is not the case that you cannot choose to spend gold instead of gems in casual mode.
lucchefede wrote: 05 January 2024, 14:25 This is possible. You can choose it by changing your own in-game settings!
This is correct. Specifically, click the gears in the area with your username and avatar, then set "Auto pay even when owning gold" to "disabled."

Return to “Splendor”