3P - How much luck is involved?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
DoctorFianchetto

3P - How much luck is involved?

Post by DoctorFianchetto »

At first appearance Break The Code appears to be a pure skill-based deduction game. But I have noticed there's often a lot of luck involved.

There's the obvious luck element in who gets access to the most valuable questions first, particularly the elusive questions pertaining to colour. But that's not my main point.

In a recent game I played, all three of my guesses were 50/50 shots. I know the numbers but I don't know which colour the 0 is, or the last number is a 7black or 8black. Of course, with enough questions you eliminate all uncertainty, but given it's a race, and that asking a revealing question likely means taking yourself out of contention, it's often the best decision to go for it.

I assume this situation has happened to every player at some point. What are your thoughts?
Ceaseless

Re: 3P - How much luck is involved?

Post by Ceaseless »

The highest ratings in this game are pretty low, just 400s. That's often a sign of higher variance in a game rather than skill.
DoctorFianchetto

Post by DoctorFianchetto »

It's fair to say that all good players of this game have equal logical/deduction ability, so then it does boil down to luck of the draw.
kandrabon

Post by kandrabon »

pretty sure about influences by the colour of 0
0O0OO

Post by 0O0OO »

Unfortunately this now means that arena mode doesn't work with 3 people. You are very likely too lose more than 50% of games even if you play perfectly. So ranking up becomes completely luck based, since you lose way too many points for losing or coming second.

It just comes down to playing hundreds of games, which is pretty much impossible as a non premium player.

Return to “Break the Code”