Implementing Solo/Sam

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
shoegaze

Re: Implementing Solo/Sam

Post by shoegaze »

Patrick of the Isles wrote: 30 August 2023, 08:03Hmm I suppose I think solitaire games are quite a distinct thing, different in substance than board games, which are defined by testing ideas against another mind.
Solitaire games are still board games; they do not require a second person.

The social aspect is a key part of the experience for most board games, yes, but board games are not defined by it. Solo board games have existed for centuries.
ufm

Post by ufm »

Patrick of the Isles wrote: 30 August 2023, 08:03 Hmm I suppose I think solitaire games are quite a distinct thing, different in substance than board games, which are defined by testing ideas against another mind. More to the point, I think BGA is uniquely well-suited to meeting the interests and needs of board gamers, and think trying to also meet the interests and needs of solitaire gamers might create issues and distract from the core focus. So I think implementing solitaire gaming on a wholly different site would be my preference.
Is there any evidence showing solo modes generally disrupt matchmaking and harm the game at a significant level?
After all, BGA is a board gaming site and solo games are also board games as well, as shoegaze said.

Also, a lot of publishers actively request implementing solo mode.
However, solo modes are more likely to be dropped in freelance projects due to additional costs.
electricalwell

Post by electricalwell »

I would also really love to see the solo mode implemented!
abhiroo

Post by abhiroo »

Adding my vote for the Solo implementation! I just started learning this game a few days ago and love playing against Sam - wish it was an option on BGA!
oreric

Post by oreric »

I agree with many of you, a solo version of GWT would be great and give a chance for newer players to GWT like myself the opportunity to improve our skill in playing it w/o the pressure of playing slowly with other people. I think in the long run that has more positives than never making it solo.

Return to “Great Western Trail”