Tiebreaker rules on Tournaments in BGA

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
RafaelOLins

Tiebreaker rules on Tournaments in BGA

Post by RafaelOLins »

Here in Brazil, we've just finished a big tournament with a tie. But no one really knew what's the tiebreaker rules used by the designer in this case, since there's no official rules in the game box.

We thought that maybe could be the biggest elo rank player or the second player to start the match (as in official tournament rules). But none of these applied to the winner.
Does someone know?
CB Droege

Re: Tiebreaker rules on Tournaments in BGA

Post by CB Droege »

Ties in tourneys are decided by lowest thinking time if the game rules do not indicate any other method.
Waddington

Post by Waddington »

CB Droege wrote: 08 February 2021, 23:18 Ties in tourneys are decided by lowest thinking time if the game rules do not indicate any other method.
I had opened a BUG report #33628 for this game #146018119.

Tiebreaker in elimination tournament is not written anywhere, leading people to be confused.
Because in Carcassonne te first player has an "advantage" of playing one more tile than the opponent, the second player (the player that had not started the game) should win.

I've already heard the tiebreake is random, or that the highest ELO wins, but none of these make sense.

Second player should be awarded i case of a match tie.
CB Droege

Post by CB Droege »

It has nothing to do with Carcassonne. If the rule book said that second player wins ties, then they would, but the rule book doesn't say that, and in BGA elimination tourneys, if the rules of the game fail to assign a winner, the thinking time is used. It's not the best, especially in turn-based games, where the thinking time is mostly arbitrary, but that's the way tourneys currently work.

In other games, the system will allow more than one person to have first place, but in elimination tourneys someone has to be eliminated.

They are in the progress of revamping the tourney system now, maybe that will also get attention.
heapbigcougarfan

Post by heapbigcougarfan »

I just tied for second in a game of yahtzee in a tournament where the top two advance, and I had the lowest thinking time, but I didn't advance. Does anyone know why?

Return to “Carcassonne”