Arena pairings are frustrating

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
Mchezaji

Arena pairings are frustrating

Post by Mchezaji »

So I'm in the Platinum ranking and when I seek new matches it keeps giving me people who are in Bronze. Because the season just started, many of them have ELO ratings higher than mine. They are very good players. In such pairings, if I win, I get nothing. If I lose, I lose 5 stars! Is there some way to limit the pairings so I can be matched to players at levels close to my Platinum level so this win/lose reward disparity is smaller?
PaulB-UK

Re: Arena pairings are frustrating

Post by PaulB-UK »

In the "old" lobby you can click on the cog next to the game and limit pairings to people at your level, within 1, within 2 etc. Double edged sword being that you won't face higher leagues that can give you more points.
OButler

Post by OButler »

That information is most helpful. Conversely, you may wish to restrict pairings to one's own level or higher.
Mchezaji

Post by Mchezaji »

I can’t find the cog anywhere. In my lobby there is a door icon and it only lets me adjust access based on ELO bands, not the league levels. So players in lower leagues but with ELOs higher get massive rewards for beating me, and I get nothing for beating them.1
andrewmeows

Post by andrewmeows »

I'd also like to know where the "old" interface is, I can't find a relevant setting anywhere!
andrewmeows

Post by andrewmeows »

I figured it out (on mobile):
In the main interface, go to the menu and select Play Now.
Set the game type to Arena (and real-time or turn-based).
On the left hand side of the Can't Stop square, there's a gear/cog that lets you set your preferences around playing with players 1/2/more levels away from you. Hope this helps someone else!
Spudster

Post by Spudster »

BGA's ranking system is as broken as their rolling system.

Return to “Can't Stop”