Disc use advice

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
quaswhat

Disc use advice

Post by quaswhat »

I am a relatively inexperienced player and the decision I struggle most with is which disc to use when I enter Kansas or upgrade a station. The movement black disc and the 1 coin and draw and discard white discs seem intuitively the best. My question really is which discs should I use depending on which worker strategy I am taking. Any advice from stronger players is welcome. Thanks in advance.
SteveTheOrca

Re: Disc use advice

Post by SteveTheOrca »

Money is the most important thing to master early in GWT. After playing numerous games it decides who can do more/better actions so I personally would prioritize the auxiliary $ option in most cases.

The draw/discard disc is strong for a deck that is optimized for cattle deck builders and less powerful for the other worker strategies.

I've learned also that the "move the train backwards 1 space for +1 cert" is also a good unlock because backing up from a station doesn't cost you extra train movement in the long run because you still move to the space after the station regardless. This disc is useful for an engineer strategy.

From the games I have played cowboy/engineer and builder/engineer pairings are the strongest strategies depending on the availability of cattle cards and building set each game.

Hope that helps!
Posti

Re: Disc use advice

Post by Posti »

In 90% of the cases I end up unlocking the second $ aux disk first. If I go something else it's usually for a very specific purpose timing wise (ie. unlock train movement to threaten/get priority on 1st Station Master if it's great given the setup). Trashing cards is a meme strat, the rest are situationally good but you generally don't start with them.

For first black disk you almost always start with +$3 and movement - The exceptions are usually if you want to unlock max cert if you want to maximize your 10a building or if you go points+movement because you wont have time to unlock both black disks and don't need the money.

Hand size is generally bad (too expensive), if you're unlocking it in more than 5% of your games it's probably not correct.

*EDIT* The advice on white disks is mainly for 3-4p games. In 2p games it's quite common to go for train movement to win the race for station masters (if they are good in the game). It's worth noting that 2p games the players worker count can vary heavily (ie. the winner can end up with 0 workers due to having exchanged them for station masters).

Return to “Great Western Trail”