I've noticed quite a few players conceding a game on the final turn before the points totals are calculated

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
Kenny Evil

I've noticed quite a few players conceding a game on the final turn before the points totals are calculated

Post by Kenny Evil »

Over the last few months I've noticed a lot of players conceding a game that they're about to lose before all the phases have been completed and the points totals have been calculated. This has the effect of changing the rankings points awarded or deducted at the end of the game. Whilst I agree with the need for players to concede a game that they aren't able to finish, it feels like a penalty should be applied if they do it in the final turn.
Jellby

Re: I've noticed quite a few players conceding a game on the final turn before the points totals are calculated

Post by Jellby »

Conceding the game has no effect on the points (ELO or Arena) won or lost, it counts as full win for the other player.

Perhaps you're thinking about abandoning or quitting?
Kenny Evil

Re: I've noticed quite a few players conceding a game on the final turn before the points totals are calculated

Post by Kenny Evil »

Yes, I mean the ELO. I'm pretty sure players are conceding early to reduce the effect on their ELO.
Jellby

Post by Jellby »

Well, that may be what they are trying to do, but they are failing, because conceding doesn't change the ELO compared with finishing and losing.
Shiny Happy Person

Post by Shiny Happy Person »

Conceding a two player game when lost is just good manners in my opinion, it shows respect for everyone's time.

The expel function is different, where "everyone is considered a winner" and ELO is calc based on % game complete.
Concede is just a two player thing,
RicardoRix

Post by RicardoRix »

Shiny Happy Person wrote: 18 January 2024, 09:34 Conceding a two player game when lost is just good manners in my opinion, it shows respect for everyone's time.

The expel function is different, where "everyone is considered a winner" and ELO is calc based on % game complete.
It's definitely not good etiquette. Not once in real-life have I ever stopped playing.
It's not like chess, there isn't just winning and losing. Points get calculated. Statistics get updated. There is satisfaction to see the game completed properly.

You're just trying to give yourself an excuse for giving up when you're losing.
Bontz

Post by Bontz »

RicardoRix wrote: 18 January 2024, 10:19
It's definitely not good etiquette. Not once in real-life have I ever stopped playing.
It's not like chess, there isn't just winning and losing. Points get calculated. Statistics get updated. There is satisfaction to see the game completed properly.

You're just trying to give yourself an excuse for giving up when you're losing.
[/quote]

Conceding in chess is proper etiquette as it is in most 2 player games. The game has reached its conclusion and the rightful winner is decided. I appreciate when someone concedes, moreso in a turn based game, just due to not wasting any further time going through the motions.
landon1013

Post by landon1013 »

Shiny Happy Person wrote: 18 January 2024, 09:34 Conceding a two player game when lost is just good manners in my opinion, it shows respect for everyone's time.

I totally disagree with this. Playing a game and not finishing kills me inside. Do you do this in person too? I always see the game through to the end in person why wouldn’t I online?

Return to “Roll for the Galaxy”