Is there any way to check implementation of card actions?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Duxa_

Is there any way to check implementation of card actions?

Post by Duxa_ »

Is there any way to check how BGA implements interaction between certain cards (other than playing a bunch of games and hoping to get the combo?).
For instance how does Tree Cutter interact with something like Basket, which turns wood into food.

Essentially it turns the wood space into: X wood + 3 Food
And Basket triggers off of space that provides 3+ of any resource except wood. So on paper it should work. But unclear if this is against the spirit of the Tree Cutter card design or not.
Lumin_S

Re: Is there any way to check implementation of card actions?

Post by Lumin_S »

There are a couple issues going on here:

- There can often be a difference between getting something from an action space and getting something from a card. While for individual effects, calculating with "essentially" type thinking is fine, but with combos this difference is important.

- There is a rulebook definition for each of "building resource", "resource", "good", and more.

So, looking at cards:
Tree Cutter gives the 1 wood bonus when 3 non-wood goods of the same type come directly from an accumulation space. So while Basket does provide 3 non-wood goods of the same type, note that they are coming from Basket, not the accumulation space itself (e.g. Forest.)

These differences are clarified in the unofficial compendium as well.

In general, you should put an incredibly high level of trust in the BGA implementation. What should happen, pretty much always does.
Duxa_

Post by Duxa_ »

Lumin_S wrote: 21 December 2023, 20:55 In general, you should put an incredibly high level of trust in the BGA implementation. What should happen, pretty much always does.
Thanks Lumin, this is why I was asking if there is a way to check how its implemented here (since I trust implementation here, aside some bugs that are obvious when they happen https://boardgamearena.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=33974)

We encountered this combo in a live game and were not sure how to proceed (we did end up letting the player have the proc since we deemed that the space itself is changed to provide the new goods, but your explanation that food comes from the card makes sense as well).

So thats why I was wondering how its implemented here, and if there was a way to check, then it could be an "oracle" for situations like this during live games.
Acerbic

Post by Acerbic »

Hi Duxa,

Unfortunately that kind of information on how the implementation works - short of gaining access to the code and reading it - does not exist. I've considered ways to display tooltips on cards before, but it's not an easy problem, especially given that we have hundreds of cards right now and they often interact in complicated ways.
Duxa_

Post by Duxa_ »

Acerbic wrote: 12 January 2024, 13:06 Hi Duxa,

Unfortunately that kind of information on how the implementation works - short of gaining access to the code and reading it - does not exist. I've considered ways to display tooltips on cards before, but it's not an easy problem, especially given that we have hundreds of cards right now and they often interact in complicated ways.
Yeah, perhaps in solo mode there can be a way to draft specific cards and play them to see how they work together.
torvaldur_makan

Post by torvaldur_makan »

Duxa_ wrote: 20 January 2024, 01:22

Yeah, perhaps in solo mode there can be a way to draft specific cards and play them to see how they work together.
That one already exists, where you can draft cards from all available.

Since this is the solo version of the game according to the rule book they only include the occupations for 1+ players so you cannot test the occupations for 3+ or 4+ player. Also the game board does not include the action spaces for higher player counts.

It would be nice to be able to play a 4-player game in a test mode with all available cards, but it might be too difficult to implement for the value that it gives. I would be almost as happy if there was a page that just displayed all available cards on the screen so that you can go through them. My guess is that that would be way easier to implement. Best option right now is to view the Agricola Revised Compendium, created by Lumin, but there you cannot see which cards are in BGA or not.
Duxa_

Post by Duxa_ »

torvaldur_makan wrote: 20 January 2024, 09:32
Duxa_ wrote: 20 January 2024, 01:22

That one already exists, where you can draft cards from all available.

Since this is the solo version of the game according to the rule book they only include the occupations for 1+ players so you cannot test the occupations for 3+ or 4+ player. Also the game board does not include the action spaces for higher player counts.

It would be nice to be able to play a 4-player game in a test mode with all available cards, but it might be too difficult to implement for the value that it gives. I would be almost as happy if there was a page that just displayed all available cards on the screen so that you can go through them. My guess is that that would be way easier to implement. Best option right now is to view the Agricola Revised Compendium, created by Lumin, but there you cannot see which cards are in BGA or not.
Yeah would be nice if could start any player game but have yourself as all players, so 4 player game with yourself as all 4 players. Make it a Friendly more or whatever so that it doesnt affect ELO in any way.

Return to “Agricola”