Remove map 10 rescue station from Arena

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
werfmark

Remove map 10 rescue station from Arena

Post by werfmark »

See title.

Does anyone like this map?

This map just leads to stupid openings too much and takes away the interesting aspect of planning for CP projects way too much by making it so easy to get them. Also feels incredibly snowbally as too often one player, usually player 1, get's a runaway opening like digging a double icon creature like the bison when Americas is a project.
Propaganda Panda

Re: Remove map 10 rescue station from Arena

Post by Propaganda Panda »

Completely agree. This map is just not fair in competitive play. Ask any top player and they will tell you that Rescue Station is inherently problematic. I don't mind it in casual games, but for Arena, it should be disabled.

The same applies to Hollywood Hills (to a lesser degree), where games become incredibly swingy based on what sponsors you draw.
Timmaddams

Post by Timmaddams »

Sam (sorryimlikethis) from no wonders TV (YouTube channel), has done a fantastic video showing how busted this map is and how much easier it is for the first player to support a project in round one
sorryimlikethis

Post by sorryimlikethis »

I'm not a fan of Rescue Station for the above reasons, but, at the same time I recognise it's up to the players (gurus) to vote for the arena settings they would like. For those who don't know how the guru system works - for every game on BGA the most active ~100 players of the month (with an account older than 1 year) automatically become gurus and are able to vote on the next arena season settings.

I became an Ark Nova guru two days ago and went to check how the votes went. It was 34 votes to 14 to include the new maps.
Therefore I don't have a problem with this season's settings, but would encourage people to vote without the new maps for the following one. I am sure people will come to this conclusion anyway after the novelty of losing to ridiculous starts wears off :)
pf1219

Post by pf1219 »

sorryimlikethis wrote: 11 January 2024, 13:02 Therefore I don't have a problem with this season's settings, but would encourage people to vote without the new maps for the following one. I am sure people will come to this conclusion anyway after the novelty of losing to ridiculous starts wears off :)
Maybe map 9(Geographical zoo) could stay?
It is quite unique map and I like the puzzle it provides.
And more variability is good I think..
sorryimlikethis

Post by sorryimlikethis »

pf1219 wrote: 11 January 2024, 13:38
sorryimlikethis wrote: 11 January 2024, 13:02 Therefore I don't have a problem with this season's settings, but would encourage people to vote without the new maps for the following one. I am sure people will come to this conclusion anyway after the novelty of losing to ridiculous starts wears off :)
I agree with the thought. I think the issue is the actual setting is for “map pack” to be enabled or disabled meaning it’s a 2-for-1 deal. Although thinking about it I’m sure they could change this in the future.
niente

Post by niente »

Agreed, got a 2 animal icon card at the beginning that matches one of the conservation project? massive advantage
Retired Actuary

Post by Retired Actuary »

sorryimlikethis wrote: 11 January 2024, 13:54
pf1219 wrote: 11 January 2024, 13:38
I agree with the thought. I think the issue is the actual setting is for “map pack” to be enabled or disabled meaning it’s a 2-for-1 deal. Although thinking about it I’m sure they could change this in the future.
Yeah, I think they could pretty easily generate two random maps that don’t include that one.
MK_Reiko

Post by MK_Reiko »

This map is just very poorly balanced
Ironcamel

Post by Ironcamel »

When/where is the vote to remove Map Pack from Arena? I've basically given up playing while those extra maps are in, I hate them.

Return to “Ark Nova”