Why do people think carcassonne is a "friendly" game?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
Meeplelowda

Re: Why do people think carcassonne is a "friendly" game?

Post by Meeplelowda »

ufm wrote: 14 December 2023, 05:41If they truly think so, they should contact the designer and persuade that the strategy they don't like is against the game's spirit or something.
Blocking players are playing in the boundary of rules, and blaming a valid strategy is nothing but an approach assured to fail.
For the recent example on BGA, look at Obsession: It really happened and the designer acted.
I'm fascinated, although if something depends so much on IRL politeness, then it feels like more an activity than a game. But that's just my perspective...
fluffy-chick

Post by fluffy-chick »

People are totally incensed by playing as you suggest and as I play. I'm constantly having people leave games and getting the message that a significant proportion of players don't want to play with me. Bugs the hell out of me. Do they play chess without taking their opponent's pieces?
Heikai

Post by Heikai »

I like Carcassonne specifically because it's so aggressive/interactive. Rage quitting and whiny opponents have a weak-minded mentality which prevents them from learning and getting better.
citiusaltiusnono

Post by citiusaltiusnono »

My five cents: I like when people play well and smart without pushing other players. It is for me the issue of BEAUTY of the game and some people play so well with strategic thinking and knowledge and all that without predator strategies (blocking others whenever possible)...
I don't respect predator players, but find it a challenge to play with them. Everyone brings themselves to the table...
I often just observe how some players misuse the weak players... Like in RL, no need to humiliate others... esspecially just to win points...
Strode

Post by Strode »

citiusaltiusnono wrote: 19 January 2024, 22:28 My five cents: I like when people play well and smart without pushing other players. It is for me the issue of BEAUTY of the game and some people play so well with strategic thinking and knowledge and all that without predator strategies (blocking others whenever possible)...
I don't respect predator players, but find it a challenge to play with them. Everyone brings themselves to the table...
I often just observe how some players misuse the weak players... Like in RL, no need to humiliate others... esspecially just to win points...
But what you call predator strategies isn't intended to humiliate others. And in fact, it doesn't *humiliate* others any more than me capturing your bishop in Chess would. It's an interactive, competitive game. Why think of it as humiliating?

The argument in favor of playing "unfriendly" is that it makes the game more complex. I have to anticipate whether I'm giving someone else the chance to steal a road from me. I have to think more about what others might do. the complexity comes from the players, not the game rules.
ReblScum

Post by ReblScum »

I imagine these folks trying to play football by setting up some creative offensive strategy, then becoming irate when a defender steals the ball.
Robarkson

Post by Robarkson »

My theory is that people who make these complaints are playing against players who are too strong for them. A lot of people just play casually and think they are "good" and then they get exposed to strong players and they get clobbered. It is a rude awakening and some people don't handle it well. When someone whips me I try to figure how they did it so I can return the favor.

Return to “Carcassonne”