Route Purchasing - suggestions

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Fermentacious

Route Purchasing - suggestions

Post by Fermentacious »

I would like to make the suggestion that the game notifies me when someone purchases a route.
I would also like to suggest an optional game setting where you have to get the permission of the original route holder to purchase their route (but anyone could buy routes that were not initially selected).

Reasoning?

Short version - someone will buy my route, make movements that I wasn't expecting without communicating and then cause me to waste speed.

Long version - there seems to be a spectrum of playing styles from cooperative/friendly to almost competitive.
In the friendly/cooperative style people mainly stick to their initial route(s) with exceptions, trade things, etc. Communicate if needed usually focused on what your own plan is or asking where the other person is going to do. Occasional suggestions that are win/win.

On the other end of things, you have people who buy up multiple routes to make quick deliveries and cash. Communication is rare or unresponsive and it’s harder to make plans. As the game progresses, they bundle groups of passengers to the same location, picking up happy passengers and leaving behind orange and red ones, sometimes that need to go in the same direction just not to the same exact location. Then expecting other players to shuttle singles around so there's no complaint. It's like they are trying to turn a cooperative game into a competitive one by being the MVP with the most stuff/routes/speed/seats. When there is communication, it tends to be more demanding of others to benefit the conglomerate.

So, notifications about route purchases (more than just entered in the log) would at least help me anticipate other players moves. And that does seem to be consistent with how the original game would have been played in person.
As for the optional game setting that I suggested, it would be particularly helpful in games with easier settings, typically with newer/apprentice/average/good/strong players but also with large group games which can take awhile and I might want to know their approach before joining.

Personally, before I buy another route, I typically put it in the chat to let other players know and also to see if there is a better plan.
quietmint

Re: Route Purchasing - suggestions

Post by quietmint »

"notifications about route purchases (more than just entered in the log)”

What does "notification" mean to you? The game log already indicates when a route is purchased and each player panel already shows badges on the left side for all routes owned by each player. How else do you want to be "notified"?

I think something that may help is a visual indication. For example of the red player adds the green route, maybe change the plane icon on the map from solid red to half red + half green or solid red + small green stripe, for example. Is this what you're suggesting?
Fermentacious

Post by Fermentacious »

For notification, I guess I thought of something to click on during the purchase phase, same type as accept vips or ready. Not exactly sure how that would work - maybe after everyone has completely finished as the round is about to start. It could be presented in a positive way - This player has a new route... it would give a clear heads up. And it would let me look at the board at the time they are making their purchase so I would have an indicator of their playing style.

I really like the idea of Stripes on the plane, but when two planes are in the same location, you only see one anyway - but that leads to another suggestion.

Another possibility would be stripes on the player rectangle. I do look at what's on their plane, maybe a stronger visual there might do the trick. Especially if I've already gotten a notification.
Fermentacious

Post by Fermentacious »

for clarification - I don't typically read the log while I'm playing the game, and with my screen size, it doesn't even show up without scrolling down on larger group games or even small games once people have 3 seats.
quietmint

Post by quietmint »

I really dislike the idea of "ask for permission" before purchasing a route. It would be cumbersome to implement, and I disagree with the idea that other players should be able to veto my purchase decision. I have no plans to implement this.

However, improving the visual indicators sounds like a good idea. Version 240122-0436 adds racing stripes to both the player panels and the planes on the map if you own multiple routes. Let's see how this goes.

jestaoz

Post by jestaoz »

I like the idea of greater recognition of who has what colours. What about putting "tabs" of colour across each player's panel (ie from the "hour glass" across to the flag)?

I found the stripes and VIPs a bit chaotic and adding stripes to the planes made it harder for me to identify where I was.
ChiefPointThief

Post by ChiefPointThief »

What op needs to do is remember the players they had a good experience with and try to befriend them. The people who you didn’t red thumb. I know bga wants to do away with that system but it may be what’s best for you.

Also not a bad idea mint. Keep the good updates coming I guess :D
Fermentacious

Post by Fermentacious »

I didn't think you would want to do the permission thing - just an opportunity to vent. That's why I focused on the other thing.
:lol:
quietmint

Post by quietmint »

These visual updates have been slightly refined in version 240123-1641:

shermanator822

Post by shermanator822 »

Just jumping on here to appreciate quietmint for making updates and responding to suggestions. I love the colors of networks being more visible. Thank you, quietmint!

Return to “Now Boarding”