the one move and lost for ever game

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
Asia-Funtasia

the one move and lost for ever game

Post by Asia-Funtasia »

Hi there, do you have equal games as this one: #222504305
You beginn with one move and you have lost the hole game because of it?
Please post for charing the thrill and horror :D
euklid314

Re: the one move and lost for ever game

Post by euklid314 »

I can just answer your question on the theoretic side:

What happened to you in your game is called a blitz. Your opponent will hit everything in his home board (even if he hits loose) such that he can close out his board.

With the doubling cube the following sequence is almost forced:

If one player starts with 2-5 the opening theory states that he shall play 24/22 and 13/8.
If his opponent rolls a 5-5 afterwards he should blitz with 8/3*(2) and 6/1*(2), i.e. a double hit making two further points in his home board
If the first player now fans (i.e. rolls only 1, 3 or 6 and cannot enter) then his opponent will double (i.e. he wants to play for higher stakes) and in certain match situations the first player will pass (i.e. resign) on his 3rd move!

The reason for a possible pass is, that after the sequence (2-5, 5-5, fan) it is quite frequent that the home board is closed out (blitz) and you lose a gammon.

In your game a similar sequence happened with (2-6, 1-4). Since there is no doubling cube at BGA you did play it out till the end and you even had some hitting chances in the end. Unfortunately you did not roll a hitting number so your opponent won easily.

Summary: It is always very painful if you make only 1 move and then you can only watch. But that happens more frequently than you think - especially if the doubling cube is in play. Without doubling cube the blitz strategy is less potent.
bckgmn

Post by bckgmn »

Asia-Funtasia wrote: 09 December 2021, 11:03 Hi there, do you have equal games as this one: #222504305
My opponent could only play two rolls against a lucky Blitz in this one
https://boardgamearena.com/table?table=416434139

#️⃣ 416434139
bckgmn

Post by bckgmn »

euklid314 wrote: 16 December 2021, 20:07
Thanks Euklid for sharing on the forums. I've added an example of a blitz where my opponent played 2 rolls including opening before resigning.

Should we create a dedicated room for sharing games we want to discuss?
euklid314

Post by euklid314 »

bckgmn wrote: 10 September 2023, 15:25
Thanks Euklid for sharing on the forums. I've added an example of a blitz where my opponent played 2 rolls including opening before resigning.

In the Azul forum one user posts a screenshot of an interesting game position every week - and some users respond. If someone wants to post interesting positions perhaps there will be a discussion about it. I have seen some (very few) Backgammon analysis threads in the forum in earlier times but there was not much feedback. Might be different now...

I have rewatched your blitz game and analyzed it (with software, if you wonder why my percentages are that exact). Two things that might be interesting:

A) In your 4th move you rolled 6-5 and played 24/18*, 18/13. But you could have made a double hit, namely the move 24/18*, 9/4* - hitting lose on the 4-point. This would have been the only correct move for a blitz! This correct move gives you a winning chance of 73,1%, while your choice only has a winning chance of 70,6%.
BG1.jpg
BG1.jpg (427.8 KiB) Viewed 1280 times
You probably feared that your opponent might roll a 4 and hit you. But being hit back by a 4 is *much* (!!) better as if you had not hit him and he could anchor at the 4-point (i.e. he has 2 stones on your 4-point). If your opponent gets an anchor then the blitz is dead and your winning chances drop drastically.

B) Your opponent had still 1.4% winning chances when he resigned. This is low but I don't understand why one would resign such a position.

Your opponent was closed out and hedid not have to do anything but wait. If you leave him a shot (which happens in 5-10% of all games) he would have needed to hit you and block your single checker. That is difficult - thus the low winning chance of only 1.4%. But even winning 1 out of 72 games should be worth waiting 2 minutes. If one does not get a shot and is forced to enter the 2 closed out checkers one can still resign.
BG2.jpg
BG2.jpg (429.34 KiB) Viewed 1280 times
bckgmn

Post by bckgmn »

euklid314 wrote: 10 September 2023, 17:43
bckgmn wrote: 10 September 2023, 15:25

Great thabnks a lot for that analysis

I like to attack, blitz all the way lol
wintercurrants

Post by wintercurrants »

bckgmn wrote: 10 September 2023, 15:22
Asia-Funtasia wrote: 09 December 2021, 11:03 Hi there, do you have equal games as this one: #222504305 basket random
My opponent could only play two rolls against a lucky Blitz in this one
https://boardgamearena.com/table?table=416434139

#️⃣ 416434139
You made a good move. Hopefully we can compete one day. :lol:
bckgmn

Post by bckgmn »

any opinions about this game?
I have 7 in and perfect placement, he has 1 out of home camp and then...
https://boardgamearena.com/table?table=467182178

A brilliant player helped me analyze it and here it is:
"Of course I was interested in a computer analysis (as probably you are). Before the 6-6, white has a winning chance of 0.21%. I have to confess that I am surprised that white wins 1 out of 476 games from this position. I did the highest possible analysis level... "

Return to “Backgammon”