Players that target a specific player instead of playing to win

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
SquashEngineer

Re: Players that target a specific player instead of playing to win

Post by SquashEngineer »

Give some variety to your game play. Try defending against that strategy, when you see it occurring. Counter you opponent by going on a similar offensive. Can you win the war overall by turning the tables soon enough? Discover an alternative way to play - target a decisive win at the detriment of your opponent. Mix it up a bit - see if you can still win “despite” the ruthless attack from the other player.

Surely if you have a bunch of simultaneous games going on, a few of them could be cut-throat matches.
Mofo Odin

Post by Mofo Odin »

A bit of an old post, though I believe that people can still relate. I played Carcassone in RL before BGA and pretty much noone blocked the cities, sometimes would steal the goods and cities and the biggest fight would be over fields. But through the amount of meeples rather than blocking.
Here on BGA the pool of gamers is much larger and from the start I've noticed fanatical blockage. And suddenly I found myself doing the same. Now, I don't like me. I was always a proponent of fun over win. This way I became a person I used to despise when playing live. Interesting psychology.
What "comforts" me somewhat is the fact that these people do that with everything in RL, automatically giving them a label of being... Short:)
Excesive and agressive competitiveness shows lacking in other aspects of their lives.
My 2c
Ceaseless

Post by Ceaseless »

Mofo Odin wrote: 28 January 2024, 20:58 A bit of an old post, though I believe that people can still relate. I played Carcassone in RL before BGA and pretty much noone blocked the cities, sometimes would steal the goods and cities and the biggest fight would be over fields. But through the amount of meeples rather than blocking.
Here on BGA the pool of gamers is much larger and from the start I've noticed fanatical blockage. And suddenly I found myself doing the same. Now, I don't like me. I was always a proponent of fun over win. This way I became a person I used to despise when playing live. Interesting psychology.
Mofo Odin wrote: 28 January 2024, 20:58 What "comforts" me somewhat is the fact that these people do that with everything in RL, automatically giving them a label of being... Short:)
Excesive and agressive competitiveness shows lacking in other aspects of their lives.
My 2c
You claim there's a difference in your IRL and online play yet assume for everyone else that their IRL tendencies elsewhere are identical to their online plays. That's quite an assumption to make to just look down on other players.

Return to “Carcassonne”