France 1944 Amphibious Invasion Procedure

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Charlie Jehlen

France 1944 Amphibious Invasion Procedure

Post by Charlie Jehlen »

Greetings,

In playing this scenario solo, I noted that the BGA app would not let me place a second Surprise Attack marker in Sea Zone 10. The board game rules (6.3.2.6 Amphibious Invasion Example, last paragraph) allow multiple SA markers in the same sea area to replicate the historical invasion which landed two Allied armies in Normandy during June 1944. Is this a bug or am I overlooking something?
MarkDey

Re: France 1944 Amphibious Invasion Procedure

Post by MarkDey »

This is an artifact of the BGA implementation. You can't have two surprise attack markers in the same hex, and it takes that very literally, so the solution is to click another hex in the same sea zone.
Charlie Jehlen

Post by Charlie Jehlen »

Mark,

Thanks for the quick reply. As suggested, I placed a second SA marker in hex 2810 and then activated a second Allied army to invade. The program allowed the land unit to naval transport, but it could not perform an amphibious invasion in the sea area.
MarkDey

Post by MarkDey »

How curious. I just tested and was able to get it to work. Is the ground unit that you selected for naval transport in a port in SZ 2, 7, or 10? It needs to be within 2 sea zones of the invasion hex.

Can you post a screenshot of what you're seeing, including the top and bottom buttons, when you select the ground unit to activate?
Charlie Jehlen

Post by Charlie Jehlen »

Mark,

I've attached the screen shot as a jpg file. In the turn, I invaded with the US 1st Army, cleared Cherbourg (no advance), and placed the Mulberry. I then placed the second Surprise Attack marker adjacent to the first one in the sea zone. I'd like to land the BR 2nd Army in the hex to the east of the Americans.

When I load the Brits on the fleet, the amphib invasion option does not appear. Thanks for your assistance.
MarkDey

Post by MarkDey »

I'm not seeing the screenshot. The only other thing I can think of is that a fleet & convoy can only participate in one amphib invasion per turn, but the UK 2nd army should start stacked with its own fleet and convoy, so I don't see that being the issue.

Hm - when you placed the second surprise attack marker, you should have gotten a pop-up asking if you wanted to place it in the hex or in the sea zone. You should have selected to place it in the sea zone. Perhaps that's the issue?

Return to “Unconditional Surrender! World War 2 in Europe”