Is 'Handicap' real?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
jmbarranco

Is 'Handicap' real?

Post by jmbarranco »

I am suspecting that, when you play shark and swimmer cards and click on, for example, leftmost opponent card, sometimes the game picks the leftmost card and sometimes picks another one randomly :roll: . It's very frustrating because it seems that it depends on if you are winning or not...
thoun

Re: Is 'Handicap' real?

Post by thoun »

It's always random, even if clicking a card make you feel the opposite ;)
jmbarranco

Post by jmbarranco »

I am not sure to be honest... most of the time I pick the leftmost or rightmost (the latest one that the opponent chose) with a lot of cards in her hand and it works sometimes
thoun

Post by thoun »

Of course with random selection you will sometimes get what you want, and sometimes not. Click middle and it will be exactly the same.
Source code is available if you don't trust me ;)
Meeplelowda

Post by Meeplelowda »

thoun wrote: 01 February 2024, 15:08 Of course with random selection you will sometimes get what you want, and sometimes not. Click middle and it will be exactly the same.
Source code is available if you don't trust me ;)
I think the problem people have (because this is the third time I've seen this in a thread, and there are probably more I haven't seen) is thinking there is a physical correlation between the card they click on and which one they are choosing like there would be in the real world. So they think "oh, the mermaid is always on the right side of my hand, so if I click on the left side of my opponent's hand I'll get the mermaid they just picked up from the discard pile."

Isn't what you are saying is that actually the cards are just objects in a data structure and clicking on the left/right/middle is not specifically selecting element n in that structure, it is always randomly selecting from all the cards? Maybe showing the source code for that specific method/function would help people understand this.

Return to “Sea Salt & Paper”