strategy guide?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
CamCam001

Re: strategy guide?

Post by CamCam001 »

Kero87 wrote: 30 March 2023, 17:35
What you've been facing lately, CamCam, is called the "engine strategy" (cause it's slow to start, but unstoppable once started). It is effective for us, low~mid level players, who hardly ever finish the game under 20 turns.
That's really really interesting Kero87, thanks for posting! Where did you learn all of that from?

I've been playing games over the past couple of weeks and recording the stats of each (i'm not a premium member so had to manually do it). I've played mainly 3 player games with levels 0 through to high 300's. Games were between 20-26 turns. I mostly lost (having brought about 10 cards) and the winners usually had more like 16 cards and had attracted between 1-3 nobles.

There was one player who had a really great strategy and perfectly executed a win with 9 cards (3 cards of 3 different colours exactly) which attracted one noble.

I started noticing what you mentioned about the slow start in engine strategy, that really kicks up a notch in the last 3 turns. Especially so if there are two nobles that share two common colours.

I've modified my strategy slightly, I'm still reserving a card from the top, but i'm aligning all the "best cards" i see with the colours of at least one noble. I'm winning more, sometimes i'm outstripping the "engine strategy" players before they can get a noble, sometimes i'm attracting one noble which keeps it out of their hands. But it seems pretty luck dependent. I'm gambling on particular colours being available, and also those colours being able to be purchased with the tokens i'm strongest holding in my hand.

Has anyone adapted their strategy to something that's working well?
It seems like Kero87, you find that picking one or the other strategy is best? rather than a combo like i'm trying?

Thanks for posting, really informative!
Kero87

Post by Kero87 »

CamCam001 wrote: 08 April 2023, 02:25 That's really really interesting Kero87, thanks for posting! Where did you learn all of that from?
Truth to be told, that's second hand information. I heard it from the strongest player I know IRL. I know he's been watching videos, commentaries and such about Splendor, but I can't give you his sources.
CamCam001 wrote: 08 April 2023, 02:25 Has anyone adapted their strategy to something that's working well?
It seems like Kero87, you find that picking one or the other strategy is best? rather than a combo like i'm trying?
I've also tried to combine both strategies, and I still do so when I feel the game is right for it.
For exemple, when playing the reservation strategy, I like picking a strong card that aligns with a noble tile (for exemple a 7 green - 3 read card when there is a 4 green - 4 red noble tile). Then I'll be a bit less regarding about the points/cost efficiency of the support cards I buy.
Conversely, if I I start playing the engine game but then realize my opponents are hoarding the cards of 1 or 2 colors, I might just give up on the contested colors (on the condition there are still nobles tiles I can get). In that scenario I'll reserve a strong card that works well with the colors I'm buying (typically a 6-3-3) if there is one in the third raw.

But, most of the time, I prefer sticking to a strategy.
The best advantage of the engine strategy is its versatility: With a wide base, you can usually find something interessing to play no matter which cards are revealed. If your base is restricted to 3 colors, you lose that advantage. It can work (and it it does, you'll often leave your opponents in the dust), but that depends on your luck. And, if your game is mostly engine-oriented, reserving a card is almost the same as loosing a turn.
Conversely, if your game is mostly reservation-oriented, buying support cards with poor points/cost ratio is a loss of coins.

Side note: If you're playing the reservation game while all your opponents are playing the engine strategy, you don't necessarily need to reserve high cards (7 or 7-3 cards) before the last third of the game: There is little chance your opponents would buy or reserve them before that point.
Caranna

Post by Caranna »

Hello,
I'm new to this game, I watched this replay and didn't understand the winner's strategy.
What's the point of reserving the card he took in the first round?

https://boardgamearena.com/gamereview?table=292983461

Thx :)
Wolfjäger

Post by Wolfjäger »

Reserved a red card, when there are 3 nobles (out of 4) that require red.
Caranna

Post by Caranna »

Thanks for your answer. I'd seen about nobles but I don't understand the reason for reserving such an expensive card when there's a 3 white card at 1st level, which will also be easier for other players to buy ?
Fletcheese

Post by Fletcheese »

Caranna wrote: 21 June 2023, 09:57 Hello,
I'm new to this game, I watched this replay and didn't understand the winner's strategy.
What's the point of reserving the card he took in the first round?

https://boardgamearena.com/gamereview?table=292983461

Thx :)
I heavily disagree with reserving that card. All of the players in this game are in the mid 100s for ELO which is not very high.
Ceaseless

Post by Ceaseless »

Fletcheese wrote: 29 November 2022, 00:22 There are some very good players that record their Splendor games and upload to Youtube with commentary. I find those very helpful for learning, maybe you would too.
Huh, that sounds neat. Sorry for the necrobump but I was curious what videos have that. Sounds fun to see how good Splendor players think.
bousi

Post by bousi »

hi

I am publishing a strategy book written in Japanese. (It is privately published.)
Contents is
"Vertical Strategy Flowchart" and,
" list of cards, ratings, and a short review".

I think the most important part of playing this game is to know what kind of cards there are and what their properties are.
Especially just knowing the laws of color circulation makes a lot of difference.

The next step is to know the detailed tactics.
Strategic scenarios are also necessary, but since the game unfolds differently depending on the turn of the card, there is no point in thinking too much about them.

Return to “Splendor”