Why do some people deliberately lose?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
CirdanTheScout

Why do some people deliberately lose?

Post by CirdanTheScout »

This is a strange situation I've encountered a number of times when playing Connect Four. I start a game with someone (usually with low karma) and they play in such a way that they let me get four in a row immediately, losing on purpose within the first four turns. What is the reason that a player would do this? Are they trying to bring their karma back up by playing a lot of games quickly? I always red thumb people who waste others' time like this, but I'm not sure if there's any other recourse. It's very annoying and I would think against the spirit of BGA, and gaming in general. Have others encountered this, and can anything be done?
Mathew5000

Re: Why do some people deliberately lose?

Post by Mathew5000 »

CirdanTheScout wrote: 06 February 2024, 16:43 This is a strange situation I've encountered a number of times when playing Connect Four. I start a game with someone (usually with low karma) and they play in such a way that they let me get four in a row immediately, losing on purpose within the first four turns. What is the reason that a player would do this? Are they trying to bring their karma back up by playing a lot of games quickly?
Yes. Connect Four was specifically mentioned as a quick way to restore karma points, in this long thread from two years ago: viewtopic.php?t=24362

In case you're not already aware, you can change your settings for any game, so that you won't be matched with opponents whose karma is below 75. From https://boardgamearena.com/lobby choose SIMPLE GAME and AUTOMATIC from the drop-down menus at top, then click the cogwheel next to Connect Four (or whichever game you want). If you don't see a setting for "Player's reputation", then click "Show advanced options". (If you play both real-time and turn-based games, then you might need to follow this procedure once for each of those.)

Return to “Connect Four”