ELO / Arena Score / Player Stats

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
BusterVA

ELO / Arena Score / Player Stats

Post by BusterVA »

I have a question about ELO, Arena (Elite) ratings, and user win ratios.

Note: This is not a complain about the system, but rather just looking for clarification.

First Player Stats

My personal stats show the following:

Games: 1019
Victories: 341
Ratio: 47% wins

This shows 47% Victories. This makes no sense. Looking at the stats and basic math says I have a win rate of 33.4%. Where does this 47% come from?

Someone once told me, that the percentage takes into consideration second place finishes as wins, but then why is that stat not part of Victories figure?

Arena & ELO Changes
For obvious reasons I get that the "elite" score and ELO ratings go up when you get first and down when you get third. But when you get second place, it depends entirely on the ratings of who you beat and who beat you. Sometimes up, sometimes down.

BUT, if second place finishes count as a "victory" in the stats, then it seems to me that a second place should either go up a smaller amount, or perhaps stay flat at 0. If considered a "victory" a drop in score does not make sense. (Hey, you won, but you lose points - makes no sense.)

Anyone know how this is supposed to work?

Again, not complaining, just genuinely curious. The way this system works is such a mystery
Jellby

Re: ELO / Arena Score / Player Stats

Post by Jellby »

2nd place does not count as victory, only 1st. But victories in games with more than 2 players count more. If np is the number of players, each victory counts as 0.5*np, so if you play only 3-player games and win every single one of them, you'll have 150% victory rate. The reasoning is that if you just win the "expected" amount of games (as if the winner was purely random), your victory rate would be 50% regardless of the number of players.

Return to “Catan”