card 15 (and 14) - which colour's number is larger (smaller) than either of the others

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Mathew5000

card 15 (and 14) - which colour's number is larger (smaller) than either of the others

Post by Mathew5000 »

I'm confused. Card 15 says "This Verifier verifies which colour's number is larger than the others." It presumably means "strictly larger".

So should I assume that if this card is one of the verifiers, then the secret number has one digit that is strictly larger than the other two (so for example, the secret number is definitely not 441 or 333)?

Or does it mean that if the secret number is 441 (without a unique maximum) then I will get a checkmark only if my test code also has no unique maximum (e.g. 525 or 333) but I'd get an x when I test 431 or 252?
poptasticboy

Re: card 15 (and 14) - which colour's number is larger (smaller) than either of the others

Post by poptasticboy »

The presence of one of these criteria cards tells you that there is a strictly largest (or smallest) number in the solution.

Sometimes it's good enough just to know that; you don't always need to question the verifier to work out which one it is 🙂
Sandrinni

Re: card 15 (and 14) - which colour's number is larger (smaller) than either of the others

Post by Sandrinni »

Hello,

Do you mind to put the link of your party ?
It's an interesting question.

Thanks
Jellby

Post by Jellby »

The verifiers and criteria cards know nothing about the secret code. The verifiers only know one condition, and will answer yes for any code that satisfy that particular condition. The secret code must return yes for all verifiers, but the verifiers don't know what the secret code is.

The criteria card tells you the associated verifier is ONE of those listed. The ones listed in cards 14 and 15 include only cases where one color is strictly larger or smaller than the other two, so whenever you have a tie, all three possible verifiers would answer no, and therefore you know the secret code cannot be that.

Now, if the cards said something like: "blue is larger than yellow and purple" OR "yellow is larger than blue and purple" OR "purple is larger than blue and yellow" OR "no single color is the the largest", then that would be different.

Return to “Turing Machine”