Community consensus / unwritten rules about blocking?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Suoivax

Re: Community consensus / unwritten rules about blocking?

Post by Suoivax »

tchobello wrote: 16 January 2024, 09:40
But blocking is not really effective as it's quite always better to score the most points as you're the only one improving your score instead of two people scoring less.
If I have the option, at the end of the game, to either score my 6 point ticket, or block your 20 point ticket, it's more beneficial to block..
tchobello

Post by tchobello »

Suoivax wrote: 16 January 2024, 14:22
tchobello wrote: 16 January 2024, 09:40
But blocking is not really effective as it's quite always better to score the most points as you're the only one improving your score instead of two people scoring less.
If I have the option, at the end of the game, to either score my 6 point ticket, or block your 20 point ticket, it's more beneficial to block..
In a 2P game for sure...
I've chosen the villain path in my game running.
we shall see if I was right.
ExaltedAngel

Post by ExaltedAngel »

tchobello wrote: 16 January 2024, 09:40 But blocking is not really effective as it's quite always better to score the most points as you're the only one improving your score instead of two people scoring less.
True, the higher is the player count and the harder is for the block to be beneficial even tho there are cases in which you should go for it anyways
tchobello wrote: 16 January 2024, 09:40 Many people start playing Houston - NO or Nashville - Atlanta: what is it ?
Mostly people not very good at the game
Nomark21

Post by Nomark21 »

Surely the only skillful way to play is with blocking?

Admittedly I'm completely new to the game, having never played it IRL and only on here for a couple of days, but without blocking it's just a game of luck pretty much, with the only strategy being taking routes early or saving cards.
ahminus

Post by ahminus »

Nomark21 wrote: 21 January 2024, 14:15 Surely the only skillful way to play is with blocking?

Admittedly I'm completely new to the game, having never played it IRL and only on here for a couple of days, but without blocking it's just a game of luck pretty much, with the only strategy being taking routes early or saving cards.
You're correct. Congrats on figuring that out in such short order. I played with people on the old DoW TTR who had played for years and *still* got pissed when you blocked them, because "that wasn't fair play".

If you never take an opportunity to block, you may as well play Bingo.
ahminus

Post by ahminus »

Dan 1 wrote: 23 December 2023, 00:06 I have had multiple games where intentional blocking was done to me! Sometimes the opponent made NO attempt at their own tickets! While this is legal by the rules, I think it is poor sportsmanship. Unintentional blocking is okay; but to not attempt your own tickets at all(?)- poor.
Totally legitimate strategy. I often will take the lowest point cards knowing I am not going to connect them, and play a "rush" game blocking, where I also try to build the longest rail.

It's not poor sportsmanship to understand how to play the game well given the randomness of the starting cards.

A good poker player folds a lot of hands. But, you can't fold in TTR, so you learn skillful strategies for the cards you have in front of you.
Photios

Post by Photios »

Nomark21 wrote: 21 January 2024, 14:15 Surely the only skillful way to play is with blocking?

Actually, it's usually better if you choose tickets that you may connect via many 6ers, 5ers & 4ers and finish in as few turns as possible (placing trains only 8-10 times, i.e. taking 8-10 routes only, may mean your opponent may not have enough time to complete their tickets, if they need many 2ers). Many 15p. routes and fast finish is one of the best strategies

However, how often do you get Seattle NY or Vancouver Montreal? With Kansas Houston & Denver ElPaso you may win by 6ers without even completing any ticket!

In multi games blocking one player might be annoying, but what if you're trying to avoid last position and your only chance is to block the player that you can? Why allow them to complete their ticket?

Again, however, if I play with my children, I would not block as they would start crying!
clash

Post by clash »

According to the comments in the end, I probably got two red thumbs up from this game (4 players!), where I did block, but after completing my objectives and at times when I felt I had no other profitable game options. Well...
https://boardgamearena.com/gamereview?table=473588179
Nomark21

Post by Nomark21 »

Photios wrote: 09 February 2024, 13:27

Actually, it's usually better if you choose tickets that you may connect via many 6ers, 5ers & 4ers and finish in as few turns as possible (placing trains only 8-10 times, i.e. taking 8-10 routes only, may mean your opponent may not have enough time to complete their tickets, if they need many 2ers). Many 15p. routes and fast finish is one of the best strategies

However, how often do you get Seattle NY or Vancouver Montreal? With Kansas Houston & Denver ElPaso you may win by 6ers without even completing any ticket!

In multi games blocking one player might be annoying, but what if you're trying to avoid last position and your only chance is to block the player that you can? Why allow them to complete their ticket?

Again, however, if I play with my children, I would not block as they would start crying!
I agree
Now that I am a whole 2 weeks more experienced lol I find myself increasingly going for 6s first and routes second. Blocking barely occurs to me. 1, because most of the time it's not 100% clear if you even are blocking or just cutting off a route that noone wanted. 2, because good players make sure they can't be blocked easily by having multiple options and grabbing squeeze points early. And 3, I'm too focused on completing my own routes after grabbing a couple of semi random 6s!!
kloaf11

Post by kloaf11 »

I am a 5 as long as the intent is to win. I say this. One of the last games I played was a 3 player game.where this third player threw the game and seemed to have no intention of wining and blocked me 2 or 3 times when noneof their destinations were near where they blocked me. I lost the game to the other player by like 5. Easily doable if the third player didn't only block me from time. The third part had basically no points and wasn't in contention at any point.

Return to “Ticket to Ride”