Clarification Needed on Paradox Worm's Warp Effect in Tash-Kalar

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
Superluminal

Clarification Needed on Paradox Worm's Warp Effect in Tash-Kalar

Post by Superluminal »

Hello fellow Tash-Kalar players,

I'm seeking some clarity regarding the use of the Paradox Worm card in a specific situation. The card's warp effect reads: "Upgrade 1 enemy common piece. You may then discard your pending being."

My question arises in a scenario where there are no enemy pieces left on the board. Since the card's effect doesn't include the word "may" for the upgrading part, I'm uncertain about whether I can still proceed to the second part of the effect, which involves discarding my pending being, when I'm unable to perform the first action (upgrading an enemy piece). This is an important question because discarding cards is a significant part of several strategies, especially when leading, to trigger the end of the game.

Is the second part of the Paradox Worm's effect still executable in such a scenario?

If this would be an MTG game, the second part would NOT be executed, but the mechanics in Tash-Kalar can differ.

Thank you in advance for your help!
nandblock

Re: Clarification Needed on Paradox Worm's Warp Effect in Tash-Kalar

Post by nandblock »

The 2nd effect triggers regardless, if you want it to. Otherwise it would be worded, "If you do so, you may..."
Arxij

Re: Clarification Needed on Paradox Worm's Warp Effect in Tash-Kalar

Post by Arxij »

In rules (https://czechgames.com/files/rules/tash ... les-en.pdf) in section "RESOLVING EFFECTS OF BEINGS AND FLARES" is:
  • Some parts of an effect may be optional:
    • May indicates that a certain part of an effect is optional.
    • Up to always includes 0.
  • Any parts that are not specified as optional are mandatory.
  • If an effect cannot be performed fully, do the parts that can be done
So, it's exactly as nandblock says. You have to do mandatory parts, if possible. But if they are not, just skip them.

Return to “Tash-Kalar”