According to the rules : do you draw the bonus cards first or the clearing cards first ?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Niamore

According to the rules : do you draw the bonus cards first or the clearing cards first ?

Post by Niamore »

I was looking at the rulebook, i cant find a clear answer.
Lets say, i play the mole and 3 birks in a row, now with the bga adaptation, i get 3 cards first, then 3 cards will be added to the clearing.
But we could read the rule the otherway : first put the cards on the clearing then take you bonus cards...
Is it the regular rule or did i miss something ?
Thanks
Stegofreak

Re: According to the rules : do you draw the bonus cards first or the clearing cards first ?

Post by Stegofreak »

The wording for the Mole card in the physical edition of the game is;
Use the effect of the Mole after paying for it. First, put all the cards in play that you want to play, then pay their cost, and finally use their effects and bonuses.
I'd question whether the playing of the Birches is considered to have happened during the Mole's activation so that the adding of the cards to the clearing happens after the full effects of the Mole have been completed (ie. drawing cards as bonuses for the played trees.)
cigma

Re: According to the rules : do you draw the bonus cards first or the clearing cards first ?

Post by cigma »

Niamore wrote: 13 February 2024, 13:06 Lets say, i play the mole and 3 birks in a row, now with the bga adaptation, i get 3 cards first, then 3 cards will be added to the clearing.
But we could read the rule the otherway : first put the cards on the clearing then take you bonus cards...
I don't get it: How does this make any difference?
#zan_zendegi_azadi / #woman_life_freedom
#StandWithUkraine
Language is a source of misunderstanding. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery: The Little Prince) But it is also the source of understanding - it all depends on how you use it. :-)
Niamore

Post by Niamore »

Yes the mole example was not so good. Lets take another one, you play a birk or beech card. You pay for it, now do you take a card first or does it go to the clearing first ?
It makes a difference with the physical game, lets say a player just played a birk then take a card, watch it and give it to the clearing and take the next one for himself. If the first card was better he could have taken the first one and leave the other for the clearing...
cigma

Post by cigma »

Niamore wrote: 23 February 2024, 19:34 lets say a player just played a birk then take a card, watch it and give it to the clearing and take the next one for himself. If the first card was better he could have taken the first one and leave the other for the clearing...
I'd follow the sequence given in the rulebook: "Because you played a tree, you now also place the top card of the deck face up into the clearing" (page 4), "If the card you just played has an effect or bonus (or both), you may now use them" (page 5). For me it seems pretty clear that the effect or bonus (or both) are triggered at the end of your turn.

In any case, I would not allow the player to CHOOSE which card to take and which to place in the clearing.
#zan_zendegi_azadi / #woman_life_freedom
#StandWithUkraine
Language is a source of misunderstanding. (Antoine de Saint-Exupery: The Little Prince) But it is also the source of understanding - it all depends on how you use it. :-)

Return to “Forest Shuffle”