ELO loss after a perfect game

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
SKZdman

Re: ELO loss after a perfect game

Post by SKZdman »

If you didn't finish with 8 clue tokens, it's not a perfect game.
Stroom

Post by Stroom »

SKZdman wrote: 13 January 2024, 13:59 If you didn't finish with 8 clue tokens, it's not a perfect game.
That's false. And often just impossible (unless you cheat and give clues verbally).
Not Anubis

Post by Not Anubis »

This happened again but with 3 ELO points this time. I can see several open reports that say the same thing so it's been happening to other players too.

Achieving a perfect game can and does penalize players.
Travis Hall

Post by Travis Hall »

Not Anubis, I noticed that you commented on an open bug report concerning this problem (possibly more than one - I don’t know if I have seen all relevant bug reports) but you didn’t provide any link or reference to the game where you encountered the problem. Nor have you provided such links or references here. You probably should if you ever hope to get this properly investigated.

I can see a likely explanation for why the problem occurred in the game pointed out in the bug report I’ve seen. I can’t spot similar in a game I can’t look at, though.

(In the case I’ve looked at, it isn’t just that ELO decreased following a perfect game. The final score of the game was calculated incorrectly. While they played 25 cards, the final score shows as 20, which is not a perfect score and hence leads to ELO loss, depending on the current ELO of the players.

That game is an older, turn-based game, and the UI is from before the game was updated to resemble the more recent version of the physical game, which was also when Black Powder was implemented. I believe that what has happened is that with no Black Powder setting recorded for the game, it defaulted the Black Powder part of the scoring to On, when the game was played as if the setting was Off. With no black cards played, that will subtract 5 points from the score. That is obviously a bug, but will only affect games in progress when that update was applied to the game - mostly turn-based games.)
Blacktango

Post by Blacktango »

I'm a bit sad
I fixed this bug and some others a couple of months ago, but no one has time to merge and deploy it :cry:
Not Anubis

Post by Not Anubis »

Travis Hall wrote: 26 February 2024, 08:53 Not Anubis, I noticed that you commented on an open bug report concerning this problem (possibly more than one - I don’t know if I have seen all relevant bug reports) but you didn’t provide any link or reference to the game where you encountered the problem. Nor have you provided such links or references here. You probably should if you ever hope to get this properly investigated.

I can see a likely explanation for why the problem occurred in the game pointed out in the bug report I’ve seen. I can’t spot similar in a game I can’t look at, though.

(In the case I’ve looked at, it isn’t just that ELO decreased following a perfect game. The final score of the game was calculated incorrectly. While they played 25 cards, the final score shows as 20, which is not a perfect score and hence leads to ELO loss, depending on the current ELO of the players.

That game is an older, turn-based game, and the UI is from before the game was updated to resemble the more recent version of the physical game, which was also when Black Powder was implemented. I believe that what has happened is that with no Black Powder setting recorded for the game, it defaulted the Black Powder part of the scoring to On, when the game was played as if the setting was Off. With no black cards played, that will subtract 5 points from the score. That is obviously a bug, but will only affect games in progress when that update was applied to the game - mostly turn-based games.)
I posted here hoping it reaches more players but I also submitted my own bug report with the table number and commented on the one which seemed to describe a similar problem (even though the table settings are different).

My game was multicolour (10 cards), flamboyants, no black powder, #479629946.
ufm

Post by ufm »

Blacktango wrote: 26 February 2024, 11:33 I'm a bit sad
I fixed this bug and some others a couple of months ago, but no one has time to merge and deploy it :cry:
Send an alpha request and explain what you want to do by replying the ticket you received.
Blacktango

Post by Blacktango »

ufm wrote: 28 February 2024, 16:46 Send an alpha request and explain what you want to do by replying the ticket you received.
Hey, thanks a lot for this advice. I will definitely do that!

Return to “Hanabi”