Is red thumbing half the players in the arena reportable?

Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
Wonderful Plays

Is red thumbing half the players in the arena reportable?

Post by Wonderful Plays »

In one of the arena games I play there is a player who red thumbs everyone that beats them, creating an opportunity to just win games by spamming them.

I thought this was supposed to not work anymore, but unfortunately it does.
Can it maybe be reported for bug abuse? Or maybe matchfixing?

I have no problem loosing to better players or even more dedicated players, but this feels like loosing a race to a cheater.
Meeplelowda

Re: Is red thumbing half the players in the arena reportable?

Post by Meeplelowda »

Wonderful Plays wrote: 02 March 2024, 20:43I thought this was supposed to not work anymore, but unfortunately it does.
You're right. This is what they said:
→ Red Thumbs for competitive play
One last thing that is going to be changed in a few weeks will be the impact of the Red Thumbs.
You can currently give a Red Thumb to any player with which you had a bad game experience. This prevents you from competing against them in ranked games or the Arena, but not in Tournaments.
This system can, and unfortunately is, used to prevent some players from competing against the best players. Considering that the Red Thumb system is being abused this way, on purpose or not, we will update the way Red Thumbs are impacting the matchmaking for the next season.
But they never announced anywhere that I've seen that this was actually implemented or announced that they had reconsidered it. Just silence on the topic after making a public announcement with a specified timeframe ("for the next season"). Given the lack of communication on the "ELO System Updates" thread which has over 2 millions views and over 600 comments, this doesn't surprise me.

But it's not reportable now and never was. Given that some red thumbs are legitimate, all have to be allowed, because they are not going to do investigations into every claim of illegitimate red thumbs. Despite them finally admitting that it is "abuse," for things like this they need a one size fits all approach because it become infeasible to administer if you have to get a human involved. So until they change the effect of red thumbs, this is still behavior allowed by (if not endorsed by) the site and is not reportable.
Wonderful Plays

Appreciate the response, could we get a response from admin/mod team what is the policy on that and when it will be implemented as announced?
Meeplelowda

Post by Meeplelowda »

Wonderful Plays wrote: 03 March 2024, 13:35could we get a response from admin/mod team what is the policy on that and when it will be implemented as announced?
A response will possibly never happen. The text I quoted above is from the thread ELO System Updates which as I mentioned has over 2.5 million views [updating my previous number] with people strongly objecting to recent changes across over 600 posts and no reply from admin in over two months.
MrsHayden

Post by MrsHayden »

there's a suggestion you can vote on : https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=48711
Meeplelowda

Post by Meeplelowda »

MrsHayden wrote: 03 March 2024, 22:03 there's a suggestion you can vote on : https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=48711
Voted for it, but seeing as it's 2.5 years old, I'm not holding my breath. It was announced that they would be making this change in December, so it's not like they don't know about the issue.
Wonderful Plays

MrsHayden wrote: 03 March 2024, 22:03 there's a suggestion you can vote on : https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=48711
I was thinking about reporting it as using this bug. There is an option for that.
I already upvoted this suggestion

Return to “Discussions”