What happened to the browser notifications?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
regnard

What happened to the browser notifications?

Post by regnard »

I used to get browser notifications in Chrome when a game is starting. (I'm a free user, so I have to wait 5 minutes or so)

I multitask (browsing, watching videos, etc.) while waiting for the game notification. Now, I'm missing games and getting massive reputation penalties.

Will things get better if I upgrade to a paid account?
thoun

Re: What happened to the browser notifications?

Post by thoun »

Notifications are not related to premium account. Check the icon at the left of the adress bar, and make sure notifications are checked on it ;)
regnard

Post by regnard »

thoun wrote: 21 January 2024, 14:34 Notifications are not related to premium account. Check the icon at the left of the adress bar, and make sure notifications are checked on it ;)
The browser notifications are turned on.
thoun

Post by thoun »

And everything is correctly checked in your profile ?
https://boardgamearena.com/preferences? ... ifications
teallite

Post by teallite »

regnard wrote: 21 January 2024, 14:41 The browser notifications are turned on.
See if your browser is listed at the bottom of the preferences page (link above). If it is listed, try to send a test notification to it. If it is not listed or notification doesn't show up, try to turn off notifications on the preferences page, then delete a notification permission for BGA in your browser, then turn back on notifications on the preferences page. You should get a request to allow notifications in your browser and accept it. Your browser should be listed on the preferences page at the bottom and now you can try to send a test notification to it.
TVivD

Post by TVivD »

regnard wrote: 21 January 2024, 14:17 I used to get browser notifications in Chrome when a game is starting. (I'm a free user, so I have to wait 5 minutes or so)

I multitask (browsing, watching videos, etc.) while waiting for the game notification. Now, I'm missing games and getting massive reputation penalties.

Will things get better if I upgrade to a paid account?
Sadly, no, at least not in my experience. I have been online playing for hours, going through my games and the icon doesn't show any games are waiting for me to take my turn, but for the second time in a week, I've gotten a penalty for running out of time. A couple of weeks ago, I was having errors on multiple games from different computers and my phone. Kept reporting them because they were preventing me from taking my turns. But yet I still get a time penalty. I guess I have to have an Android-based phone to get real-time alerts that it is my turn, because the browser method is definitely not working correctly. When I report that I was having a problem with a game and that's why I ran out of time, the response is always that there was no error. It's wild because I've been a paying member for years, and now all of a sudden, I'm constantly getting time penalties.
HotRails

Post by HotRails »

I also am no longer getting browser notifications about when it's my turn. I followed the instructions above, no change. Is there a particular format that I have to use in the "Your Subscriptions" area?
71FIL

Post by 71FIL »

I am having the same issue. I get the popup in Chrome asking to Allow notifications, I "allow" them and I send test notification which I do not receive.

Notifications work in Safari so I have two browsers opened - Safari only for the notifications and Chrome which is the browser I always use.

Return to “Ticket to Ride”