Retreat rules?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Waargh

Retreat rules?

Post by Waargh »

Hi-

I was wondering if there are extra rules regarding retreat? When I get to the retreat phase, it looks like some ships can be selected but not others. The rules on retreat in the main rule book seem to indicate any ship can retreat in any power phase if it's past its spooling phase requirement. But the BGA game doesn't seem to follow this rule.

In particular, I'm in the Scenario 6 - Secrets scenario and have defeated the CV Wasp but can't seem to retreat my Dreadnought to get the immediate win.

Any help on the BGA Talon retreat interface and/or rules I'm missing would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Waargh
Lunalol

Re: Retreat rules?

Post by Lunalol »

Your Dreadnought has 10 hull boxes, so you can't go FTL before turn 10.
(11.1.3) Spooled and Unspooled: At the start of a battle, each ship’s
FTL is considered to be “unspooled”. The FTL becomes spooled
during the Power Phase of the Round number equal to that ship’s
total Hull Boxes.
Waargh

Post by Waargh »

Thanks Lunalol! That was probably it.

I also found out the ship needs to be at speed 1 to retreat. Unfortunately this is not in the rules section on retreat, but in the FAQ at the end of the playbook!

"18a. Q: It is the start of the Power Phase of Round 6 and I have a
Terran CA that I’d like to retreat. His Power Curve is “3-3-2”.
A: No. While Terran CAs FTL drives are “spooled” by Round 6,
since the Round number equals their total hull boxes, the ship must
be moving at Speed 1, by the end of the Power Phase, to jump to
FTL. If she were moving at Speed 2 at the start of the Power Phase,
she could slow down to Speed 1 then jump to FTL and be removed
from the game board."
Waargh

Post by Waargh »

In the flavor text for section 11 Retreat of the rules, it says "A ship that wants to retreat from battle must stop using the engine as a NFTL and use it as a FTL". But it doesn't explicitly state the speed needs to be 1.

You'd think the author would have wanted to make that clear in the rules directly than in the FAQ section, since several scenarios have retreating as an end condition! :roll:
Waargh

Post by Waargh »

A Retreat button which is greyed out until the proper round and until speed is 1 would be a nice option for the BGA version. Or an active button which spits out an error button describing the conditions for retreat and why you don't meet them.
Lunalol

Post by Lunalol »

Waargh wrote: 14 September 2023, 12:17 A Retreat button which is greyed out until the proper round and until speed is 1 would be a nice option for the BGA version. Or an active button which spits out an error button describing the conditions for retreat and why you don't meet them.
Sorry, but I will say that players that read rules should be good also, but BGA suggestions system has not that option :geek:
Sorry again, no time to improve Talon this way.
tarkalak

Post by tarkalak »

Speed 1 for retreat was in 1st edition and then removed. I think.
greenjacket124

Post by greenjacket124 »

tarkalak wrote: 23 November 2023, 20:51 Speed 1 for retreat was in 1st edition and then removed. I think.
Just confirmed that in my second printing rulebook, yes.

Return to “Talon”