Conceding matches long before they're lost is out of hand.

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
Lisapoo

Re: Conceding matches long before they're lost is out of hand.

Post by Lisapoo »

This is more of the opposite question, but it seemed related enough that I thought I would post it in this thread. My pardon, if it’s inappropriate. I am new to the community here and wonder if it’s considered rude to not resign, in other words to play out any reasonably close game. Since doubles can make dramatic turnabouts possible in backgammon, I have always thought it’s better to take your chances and play to the bitter end. But I wouldn’t want to be unaware of community norms, either.
euklid314

Post by euklid314 »

There will be no clear answer to your question. Everybody will decide for themselves.

Personally I resign at exactly that moment that my theoretical chances drop to 0. If I am not sure, I play on. If it is the very last move I usually play it out, though - because some opponents like to move off their last checker.

If there is no contact left (i.e., no hitting possible) just think through what happens in the sequence 1-2, 6-6, 1-2, 6-6, 1-2, 6-6,...
RobertBr

Post by RobertBr »

Lisapoo wrote: 09 March 2024, 16:58 ... wonder if it’s considered rude to not resign, in other words to play out any reasonably close game.
The answer is that resignation is a personal choice. You have no right to be offended if an opponent resigns and no right to be offended if they continue to play. Getting offended at either of those is a breach of etiquette (just as getting offended at people using their time or 'clocking' is poor behavior).

Having said which there are some general norms among better and more experienced players. It is normal to resign a position in which winning is impossible, and that usually extends to positions in which your opponent would have to actively assist you in order for you to win. In this case its simply a matter of politeness to assume that your opinion will not make a mistake so obvious as to allow you to win. It is also normal to continue playing in a game if you are unfamiliar with the ending. That is, you think the position is lost but you have never played from this position - the experience in the situation of why the position is lost is useful.

Obviously, these principles apply differently in different games.

Return to “Backgammon”