Elo manipulation by turn based games

Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
ufm

Re: Elo manipulation by turn based games

Post by ufm »

RicardoRix wrote: 16 March 2024, 01:35 Well there is a limit, you can't postpone things indefinitely. If you gonna win 50% of the time, then you'd need 40 consecutive games to try and manipulate 20 wins.

Sheesh.

I'm guessing you are also suggesting that reporting these players does not help.

You could supply a link to the games list. If BGA says that they're not cheating, and you're not calling them out by name, then we're just simply analysing game statistics. Can't see the harm.
You should've seen those players opening hundreds of tables...
Don't forget no time limit tables allowed indefinitely stalling losing games to cancel them by inaction, nullifying any potential ELO loss.

Linking the list is also against the BGA policy.
I know it sounds dumb, but the links leading to a specific player have been censored by mods in other game forums.
If you want the lists, you should search previous posts and leaderboards.
N_Faker

Post by N_Faker »

ufm wrote: 16 March 2024, 03:53 You should've seen those players opening hundreds of tables...
Over a thousand even.
teallite

Post by teallite »

RicardoRix wrote: 16 March 2024, 01:35 Well there is a limit, you can't postpone things indefinitely. If you gonna win 50% of the time, then you'd need 40 consecutive games to try and manipulate 20 wins.
Wow, now that you've mentioned 50% win chance, I remembered about luck-dependent games. Win-loss sorting can be a huge boon for such games even with time limit. Yes, it'll be hard to sort 40 games, but doable.
nik592

Post by nik592 »

ufm wrote: 16 March 2024, 03:53 You should've seen those players opening hundreds of tables...
Don't forget no time limit tables allowed indefinitely stalling losing games to cancel them by inaction, nullifying any potential ELO loss.
Did this still happen when no time limit was restricted to friends only? Or are you talking before that (as I believe there was a time it was not restricted to friends, but that is before my time on BGA)?
h_illes

Post by h_illes »

OwnerOfTheIronThrone wrote: 15 March 2024, 18:01 Btw the primary reason that made me think about it is berserk badge. I am one of the best players at res arcana, yet I never managed to win even 20 games in a row for banzai. If was wondering if that is how people managed to do 50 wins in a row. As for the strength level argument I don't think it is a factor when someone is tryharding anyway.
I think those badges are easier to get by picking weak opponents.
ChiefPointThief

Post by ChiefPointThief »

OwnerOfTheIronThrone wrote: 15 March 2024, 18:01 Btw the primary reason that made me think about it is berserk badge. I am one of the best players at res arcana, yet I never managed to win even 20 games in a row for banzai. If was wondering if that is how people managed to do 50 wins in a row. As for the strength level argument I don't think it is a factor when someone is tryharding anyway.
Its probably more odd that you haven't got banzai yet considering your strength than someone else getting berserk. Berserk is a way tougher feat I admit because you can assume that somebody can have an off game within a 50 game stretch (also depends on the game and luck factor). Only 5 players in the history though have achieved berserk. 3 are active arena players and have thousands of games. Only one of them seem like they may target weaker opponents because I didn't see a single opponent in there recent history (last couple 100 games) that would grant them more than 2 pts for a win and there are almost 600 strong players in res arcana. If the other players did this at one point I'm not sure. But their recent history shows they play in arena.
OwnerOfTheIronThrone

Post by OwnerOfTheIronThrone »

Only 5 players in the history though have achieved berserk. 3 are active arena players and have thousands of games. Only one of them seem like they may target weaker opponents because I didn't see a single opponent in there recent history (last couple 100 games) that would grant them more than 2 pts for a win and there are almost 600 strong players in res arcana. If the other players did this at one point I'm not sure. But their recent history shows they play in arena.
How did you access this data? I found a way to check history of achivements I have, but not the ones I didn't get yet.
N_Faker

Post by N_Faker »

OwnerOfTheIronThrone wrote: 17 March 2024, 00:44

Only 5 players in the history though have achieved berserk. 3 are active arena players and have thousands of games. Only one of them seem like they may target weaker opponents because I didn't see a single opponent in there recent history (last couple 100 games) that would grant them more than 2 pts for a win and there are almost 600 strong players in res arcana. If the other players did this at one point I'm not sure. But their recent history shows they play in arena.
How did you access this data? I found a way to check history of achivements I have, but not the ones I didn't get yet.
https://boardgamearena.com/award?game=1309&award=151
OwnerOfTheIronThrone

Post by OwnerOfTheIronThrone »

Thanks

Return to “Discussions”