Game over at the end of the first turn

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
shadowphiar

Game over at the end of the first turn

Post by shadowphiar »

I knew this sort of thing is possible in theory, but never actually saw it before.

For your amusement, here’s a game of Pandemic which finished in defeat after only one player had taken a turn…

https://boardgamearena.com/table?table=489204412
ww2300

Re: Game over at the end of the first turn

Post by ww2300 »

The first player to move didn't try to address any of the 3-block cities. Could they have? Or was this unstoppable?
shadowphiar

Post by shadowphiar »

Well - with perfect advance knowledge they could have gone to Chicago -> Los Angeles -> Mumbai and treated it once; after the Epidemic Delhi would still Outbreak on the first card and raise Mumbai to three infections; then on the second card Mumbai would Outbreak, chaining back into Delhi. Chennai and Karachi would be left with three infections each, but would not outbreak in that case.

In practice without knowing the deck there's no reason to have prioritised Mumbai over Essen, and as the only player with two yellow cards they might have expected to be trying to collect more rather than spend them straight away on a very speculative flight.
Remkar

Post by Remkar »

They should have played One Quiet Night. ;)
Starwort

Post by Starwort »

Remkar wrote: 17 May 2024, 22:24 They should have played One Quiet Night. ;)
Yeah, I definitely would have played OQN on a turn 1 epidemic, but even without OQN I wouldn't have expected the game to end turn 1 lol

Return to “Pandemic”