We need to have a talk about ELO

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
avibobby

We need to have a talk about ELO

Post by avibobby »

Mod team and Hearts community ... I know this is felt by a lot people, based on positive interactions I continue to have in chats and privately with so many ... the ELO problem is real.

Hearts is traditionally a game of one winner among four players. That's it.

We have this near obsession on BGA Hearts with players fighting for their ELO only.

Jockeying for 2nd and 3rd place is a fabricated component of Hearts on BGA that is making the game veer off into something that it was never meant to be. The three players who do not win in any given game of Hearts should all be treated the same by scoring standards. Otherwise, we're playing something new entirely.

Even on BGA - when I look at my history of Hearts games, it shows me my victory count. Just wins and losses. Nothing about the other made-up outcomes.

What are we trying to achieve here? Hearts, or a new game altogether?

By not tallying points based on pure win/loss status in any given game, we're really missing the boat, and it's a disservice to the frequent players on here that want to play Hearts as it is meant to be played.
avibobby

Re: We need to have a talk about ELO

Post by avibobby »

And I just had somebody straight up say in the chat after a game that they were playing for 2nd. They dropped a queen on me and then admitted they did it so they could take 2nd place.

I'm not here to dox and call out names, but just having that happen is so terrible for this game. Why are we okay with this??
TheGrubes

Post by TheGrubes »

This post is right on... ELO should be increased by more for winner. 2-4 should lose the same amount regardless of place.
26Shooter

Post by 26Shooter »

Agreed, hearts is a game of only one winner
Giving an award for second place is an abomination that no longer represents the game of hearts
Jellby

Post by Jellby »

There's no award for second (or first) place. Elo is not an award, it's an estimation for your level at the game.

Return to “Hearts”