Rating system doesn't make sense

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Oshikureto

Rating system doesn't make sense

Post by Oshikureto »

I've been playing this game for a while and I really like it

But one thing that I don't like at all is how the elo rating system works for best-of-2 or 3 matches.

Many times I DREW against an opponent HIGHER rated than me and I still lost rating points when I should actually WIN points.

That's how elo works: If you draw against a stronger opponent, you either DON'T LOSE anything or you win a few points, but the elo rating system on this website as it is, it's simply laughable.

In this game, for instance, I was playing against someone almost 200 elo rating points higher rated than me, when I lost, that loss cost me -2, but her los cost her only -1 ? Like, what? How does it even make sense? It's a two games match, each game should be the same value =1 or 50%-50%.

She won one game, I won the other, that's A DRAW. And I should not be losing elo rating points for drawing against someone HIGHER rated than me.

WonderLadd

Re: Rating system doesn't make sense

Post by WonderLadd »

The two rounds aren't separate win-loss games. They have a score. Add up the scores for the final score. Kinda like those soccer tournaments where the teams play a home-and-home. Team A wins 3-0, then loses 0-1. Then they say "Team A won 3-1 on aggregate".
Oshikureto

Post by Oshikureto »

WonderLadd wrote: 20 March 2024, 22:20 The two rounds aren't separate win-loss games. They have a score. Add up the scores for the final score. Kinda like those soccer tournaments where the teams play a home-and-home. Team A wins 3-0, then loses 0-1. Then they say "Team A won 3-1 on aggregate".
It shouldn't be like this, given this game heavily relies on luck.

How do they come up with how many points each one earn per match anyways?
WonderLadd

Post by WonderLadd »

From the How To Play section:

Tournament Mode
The game is played multiple times with each player getting a chance to go first.

The winner of each round earns two points.
The other players lose one point for each empty space on their grid.
Highest total score wins.
WonderLadd

Post by WonderLadd »

So in the example game you posted, you had 2 open spots when the other player finished their board, and they only had 1 when you finished your board in the second round.
Grn Xn Hm

Post by Grn Xn Hm »

Oshikureto wrote: 25 March 2024, 20:53
WonderLadd wrote: 20 March 2024, 22:20 The two rounds aren't separate win-loss games. They have a score. Add up the scores for the final score. Kinda like those soccer tournaments where the teams play a home-and-home. Team A wins 3-0, then loses 0-1. Then they say "Team A won 3-1 on aggregate".
It shouldn't be like this, given this game heavily relies on luck.

How do they come up with how many points each one earn per match anyways?
Aggregate scoring is plenty common, and is just as acceptable of a qualifier for determining a victory, regardless of the luck factor. They went with this method instead of "best of X"

If your issue is with the multi-round nature of Tournament Mode, you can search or start games that are Single Round only so each round is, in fact, an ELO-based match and run rematch to your heart's content. It's actually a quite common style in the Manual-set tables.

Return to “Lucky Numbers”