Russian and Belarus flags

Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
maveleo

Russian and Belarus flags

Post by maveleo »

A fellow member of the platform raised a concern about the display of flags from Russia and Belarus in this platform. He pointed out the decisions from the Olympic committee
I believe this is a valid topic and we'll worth the discussion so I don't understand why the post has been removed. It is possible that it was the user itself and I hope it was not censorship.
I was wondering if the topic has been discussed or at least considered by the administrators.
Ez0ah

Re: Russian and Belarus flags

Post by Ez0ah »

During the Olympics, athletes who take parts represent their country and what it stands for. Sure, some can be critical of their government (1968 black power salute for example), but in the end, you say that medals are awarded to « Brazil » and not to « the Brazilian people ». In that context, banning a country, and by extension its flag, is a stance against its government.

On BGA, flags are (mainly) used to announce where you are from. It helps you connect with people and showcase the diversity of origins. A russian flag wouldn’t tell you if that player supports their government.

It doesn’t mean they can act whatever. If you spread hate speech, that’s a breach in the code of conduct and a ban-worthy offense. But you got to punish the behavior, not the identity.
maveleo

Re: Russian and Belarus flags

Post by maveleo »

Ez0ah wrote: 27 March 2024, 00:04 During the Olympics, athletes who take parts represent their country and what it stands for. Sure, some can be critical of their government (1968 black power salute for example), but in the end, you say that medals are awarded to « Brazil » and not to « the Brazilian people ». In that context, banning a country, and by extension its flag, is a stance against its government.

On BGA, flags are (mainly) used to announce where you are from. It helps you connect with people and showcase the diversity of origins. A russian flag wouldn’t tell you if that player supports their government.

It doesn’t mean they can act whatever. If you spread hate speech, that’s a breach in the code of conduct and a ban-worthy offense. But you got to punish the behavior, not the identity.
Well said

Return to “Discussions”