Awful new Catan balance for new season

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
SadPuffin

Re: Awful new Catan balance for new season

Post by SadPuffin »

Yes, it's an official alternate rule of play. It is not the official standard rule of play, for good reason.
BusterVA

Post by BusterVA »

When we play as a family we often treat "7"s as Wild. Still have to get rid of half your cards, but then everyone can pick up one of anything. We also do not play with the robbers.

It makes for a quicker game. Also more fun especially with kids. This way it is just some friendly family bonding time and nobody ever gets upset. There are flaws by doing this as the DEV cards don't really work well, but its with our kids so who cares.

I do not suggest this be an option here, in any competitive level play this alternative rule would be stupid, but it is great with kids especially when they were just starting out.
Ankhensenamon

Post by Ankhensenamon »

This game is addictive but in the same time rigged!!! you pay, you get good dice you don't pay, bad dice. So this is about money as usual in America!!
MrsHayden

Post by MrsHayden »

Personally, I prefer the random number assignments. I feel that when the number placement is the same/similar game after game, players get accustomed to it and know ahead of time where they're looking to set up their settlements. With random numbers it takes a higher level of strategy and skill, and sometimes choosing to rely more on a different option (i.e., development cards) rather than placing settlements near every resource. It's definitely tougher, but that's what makes it fun. If it was too predictable, it wouldn't be worth the time playing.
MrsHayden

Post by MrsHayden »

Ankhensenamon wrote: 27 January 2024, 01:17 This game is addictive but in the same time rigged!!! you pay, you get good dice you don't pay, bad dice. So this is about money as usual in America!!
I'm not sure i understand what you're saying. Where or when do you pay something in Catan? How is money involved?
Jontia

Post by Jontia »

MrsHayden wrote: 11 February 2024, 08:59
Ankhensenamon wrote: 27 January 2024, 01:17 This game is addictive but in the same time rigged!!! you pay, you get good dice you don't pay, bad dice. So this is about money as usual in America!!
I'm not sure i understand what you're saying. Where or when do you pay something in Catan? How is money involved?
They're suggesting that if you have a premium subscription the dice are more likely to roll your numbers.
MrsHayden

Post by MrsHayden »

Jontia wrote: 05 March 2024, 01:38
MrsHayden wrote: 11 February 2024, 08:59
They're suggesting that if you have a premium subscription the dice are more likely to roll your numbers.
oh gotcha. tell that to my losing streak lol! :lol:
gabe69velasquez

Post by gabe69velasquez »

I can sum this up.

The more randomness you introduce to Catan
(Random tiles, random numbers, random harbors),
the more random is the chance of a good start position,
and the more random the winner becomes.

I've had that game where I won 10/4/4,
and it was the randomness, just as much as skill.

So I would guess the decision was made to let more people win,
based on MORE random luck than just the dice.

Return to “Catan”