VP for Most "Robbed"

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
TheBestMrDudeMan

VP for Most "Robbed"

Post by TheBestMrDudeMan »

I think the game needs a new rule.

They should introduce a "most robbed" card.

First player to be robbed 3 times gets the card. Then after that, whoever is robbed the most, keeps it. Same as largest army or longest road. Perhaps make it only worth 1VP.

Would add a new dynamic to the game and make people think twice about who they rob first.

I think I will try this next time we play as a family (In real life). Could make it interesting... (for better or worse)
Rosabeary2

Re: VP for Most "Robbed"

Post by Rosabeary2 »

Feel free to play with that in person, but BGA doesn’t implement house rules.
TheBestMrDudeMan

Post by TheBestMrDudeMan »

Clearly. I do not expect BGA to change the rules, but it was just a thought I had that might lead to an interesting discussion.
gabe69velasquez

Post by gabe69velasquez »

TheBestMrDudeMan wrote: 14 February 2024, 18:05 Clearly. I do not expect BGA to change the rules, but it was just a thought I had that might lead to an interesting discussion.
No, I agree this isn't the place to discuss house rules I use when I play my kids at home, it's where we discuss official Catan on BGA.
You should know, no matter how good the suggestion they aren't going to implement random house rules on any official BGA games.
The person(s) you should be suggesting this to is the official Catan designers at their website/email.
Once it's an official option/scenario for Catan, then BGA has a reason to look at it.
euklid314

Post by euklid314 »

TheBestMrDudeMan wrote: 13 February 2024, 19:43 I think the game needs a new rule.

They should introduce a "most robbed" card.

First player to be robbed 3 times gets the card. Then after that, whoever is robbed the most, keeps it. Same as largest army or longest road. Perhaps make it only worth 1VP.

Would add a new dynamic to the game and make people think twice about who they rob first.

I think I will try this next time we play as a family (In real life). Could make it interesting... (for better or worse)
Have you tried it with your family?

My impression of your rule suggestion is that it makes the sitation worse. One important aspect of the robber is to slow down a player that has pulled away in settlements and cities. Thus, in an average game, the person that is leading and threatens to win should be the one who is most robbed.

With your suggestion the strongest player would need only 9 victory points to end the game.

If you find it unfair that the leading player is caught and other players take away the win then your suggestion seems appropriate. If you prefer close games that are not decided early your suggestion is counter-productive.
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

gabe69velasquez wrote: 27 March 2024, 15:22 No, I agree this isn't the place to discuss house rules I use when I play my kids at home
Why do you say that? The title of this form is "Catan". As far as I'm concerned, anything related to the game Catan is allowable in this forum. That includes general strategy advice for the game, potential house rules, history of the game, camparison to other games, etc.
gabe69velasquez

Post by gabe69velasquez »

Mathew5000 wrote: 29 March 2024, 20:51
gabe69velasquez wrote: 27 March 2024, 15:22 No, I agree this isn't the place to discuss house rules I use when I play my kids at home
Why do you say that? The title of this form is "Catan". As far as I'm concerned, anything related to the game Catan is allowable in this forum. That includes general strategy advice for the game, potential house rules, history of the game, camparison to other games, etc.
No, once again completely wrong, the game titles of the forums are for games
that they have on this site, you'll notice they match the games you can play here.
It feels like you are deliberately being obtuse while I'm trying to be logical;
look at it in reverse, take a board game they don't have here and find the
dedicated named forum for it. You won't find it. Why, I wonder?

What you are looking for are these two forum areas:
https://boardgamearena.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=215
https://boardgamearena.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=216
Start up a conversation about whatever you want there.

Return to “Catan”