ELO MADNESS

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
DoctorFianchetto

Re: ELO MADNESS

Post by DoctorFianchetto »

Ean WH wrote: 21 March 2024, 01:52That's what is missing here. I think playing games should be fun, and I feel that a close game should feel good for both players, like "man, what a game, that was great." But that's not what BGA does, no, if you lose you lose and that's all that matters. You are not left with a good feeling of having played a great, close game, you lose your ELO points so fast you don't know what happened.
The reason you are feeling frustrated is because you are conflating ELO points and fun in the same mental box. And I get that. I feel the same way sometimes. I don't play specifically to gain ELO but I do think about ratings more than I would like to and it can impact how I feel about a game. It's hard to avoid. However that's not the rating system's fault. As others have said, ELO is a skill ranking, nothing more.

BGA has the Arena mode for true competitive play. Yes, casual games are ELO ranked, but they are not competitive in nature. The ELO system is designed so you can filter the skill level of your opponents and play people at the skill range you want to play. ELO is adjusted after a game to update the skill levels of the participants based on the outcome of the game.
Ean WH

Post by Ean WH »

greenjacket124 wrote: 21 March 2024, 14:22 There is an easy solution here: don't care about ELO.
There's a big emphasis on it after the game, you know what I mean,
it's basically in your face.
BringerOfRedDawn

Post by BringerOfRedDawn »

If anything, this should be a request to top-level BGA devs to allow hiding ELO via personal preferences.

Don't think there's much to discuss here at the Ark Nova level because the game itself has no impact on how your stats are calculated (as far as I know).
ChiefPointThief

Post by ChiefPointThief »

Ean WH wrote: 21 March 2024, 20:07
greenjacket124 wrote: 21 March 2024, 14:22 There is an easy solution here: don't care about ELO.
There's a big emphasis on it after the game, you know what I mean,
it's basically in your face.
Completely agree. They expect people to not care while simultaneously slapping it in your face after every game.

Like the poster above me said this is a site issue though not ark nova. Many ppl have already suggested having the ability to hide elo. There should be a bug report on this topic. Find it and give it a vote. Probably won’t do anything but worth a try.
DoctorFianchetto

Post by DoctorFianchetto »

Regarding the "slap in the face", I definitely feel that for Arena especially when you are forced to watch the animation of losing 25 Arena points. I'd rather not see that, thanks.
bboss10

Post by bboss10 »

"It doesn't matter whether you win by an inch or a mile, winning's winning." - Vin Diesel, 2001
ChiefPointThief

Post by ChiefPointThief »

bboss10 wrote: 29 March 2024, 02:51 "It doesn't matter whether you win by an inch or a mile, winning's winning." - Vin Diesel, 2001
If you were going to quote Vin Diesel you should've said, "I am Groot"
iamnoobabc

Post by iamnoobabc »

Monkeyunit wrote: 21 March 2024, 11:18 I think the best solution is to mianly focus on own mentality in this matter.
Why does the "fun" you had in the game come from teh ELO gained/lost?
Just be glad you played a nice tight game?

If Elo gains/loss really bug you that much perhaps play unranked and just enjoy the game that way.
agree!
Jellby

Post by Jellby »

In most sport competitions, only the final standing matters, not the score/mark difference (sometimes it's considered as tie-breaker).

Return to “Ark Nova”