How are the points distributed if one player is kicked out?

Tournaments organization / Organisation des tournois
KatTcha

How are the points distributed if one player is kicked out?

Post by KatTcha »

Hello,

I’m in the middle of a Break the code tournament. Can’t remember the point system but the winner of the game gets 6 points, second one gets less, third one gets less.

It’s a four player game. In this particular game, player A was the only one to find first code. Player B was the only one to find second code There are two rounds left. Players C and D found no code so far, and D was on overtime due to being in a different time zone. Player C kicked him out.

What will happen next? Who will get the points? Will C been considered tied when he was clearly loosing at that point? How is that fair?

Also, the game considers that only 12% of the game has been played when two rounds out of 4 were done, so it’s 50% of the game.

Also, Does it change anything if i keep playing?
ErikLevin

Re: How are the points distributed if one player is kicked out?

Post by ErikLevin »

The tournament is Swiss.
All other players will tie and share the total match points equally.
No, players' scores before the kick do not matter and it does not matter if you play out the game. The game is already decided, one in last place and three tied for 1-3 place.
KatTcha

Post by KatTcha »

Thank you for your answer.

This is definitely a system flaw. And with this flaw, BGA is encouraging people to be un-fair players.
Player C “won“ exclusively by lacking fairplay in a game where he was loosing.

I wish there was a special red thumb for those players as I believe that they more damaging to a fun play environment than a player being on overtime.
nik592

Post by nik592 »

KatTcha wrote: 29 March 2024, 10:25 Thank you for your answer.

This is definitely a system flaw. And with this flaw, BGA is encouraging people to be un-fair players.
Player C “won“ exclusively by lacking fairplay in a game where he was loosing.

I wish there was a special red thumb for those players as I believe that they more damaging to a fun play environment than a player being on overtime.
This is a long-standing flaw with tournaments (and BGA don't seem invested in making any changes to tournaments for quite some time). It gets worse if multiple players are eliminated, where the other person eliminated must be decided by something other than game ranking (since the three who weren't booted are considered tied) - supposedly this is age of your BGA account, though some have also said it's random (and it looks quite random anyway), which can mean players who were in a winning position end up getting eliminated anyway (ie. Player C still gets through if their account was older than either Player A or B).

You can still red thumb them (and I do where it seems fairly clear cut that a player booted another player due to imminent loss - or even just where Player D was playing regularly, because timezones do cause problems due to the fact that tournaments have a fixed time limit, and if they are playing regularly, I don't think they should be booted). In fact, since public red thumbs no longer cause any karma penalties, it really doesn't matter whether you make it private (just your opinion) or public (and choose whatever reason you want). That said, a red thumb doesn't prevent you from meeting them in other tournaments, though you won't see them in normal/Arena play anymore.
Ewba

Post by Ewba »

I loved the idea of tournaments but after only two of them I'm probably done because of players kicking out other players when they are losing. I was in a Challengers! game with 3 NA and 1 EU and the losing NA player kicked out the EU player because he got in the negative turn time a couple of turns ago while sleeping.

I think the timer should at least reset, giving the players an opportunity to kick someone out if they aren't playing but preventing opportunist players when they're actually playing afterwards.
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

Ewba wrote: 05 April 2024, 15:52I think the timer should at least reset, giving the players an opportunity to kick someone out if they aren't playing but preventing opportunist players when they're actually playing afterwards.
You may be interested in the proposals debated and referred to in this long thread: https://boardgamearena.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31083 But as Nik592 said above, BGA has not recently been prioritizing software changes to improve the tournament experience.

Return to “Tournaments / Les tournois”