Dou Di Zhu / Fight the Landlord

Hot and crispy games just out of the oven
Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on: https://boardgamearena.com/#!bugs
Bagga_Txips

Dou Di Zhu / Fight the Landlord

Post by Bagga_Txips »

Dou Di Zhu has gone Beta recently, and it turns out to be an excellent game for 3 players, with a few variations for 2 or 4, I think. It is perhaps the most popular card game in China. It has one particular thing in its favour, which is that you are never actually out of the game, no matter how late you become involved in actually playing cards out of your hand. The ruleset and a tutorial are elsewhere on this site, and BGG has a few forum posts about the game.

Because it is a popular game in China there are loads of apps on both Android and IOS, and there is even a version on MS Store for PC, but they all suffer from limited AI by the computer, microtransactions and really irritating music and imprecations from the software, most of which are in Chinese. A couple of years ago my wife played this for hours every day, as she is Chinese, but her explanations of how to play were totally confusing for me, but the version on Pieter Meijer's CardGames.club website gives a good understandable intro to the game for English speakers, even though there are a few bugs in the program. There is also an English version on the website fighttheboss.com, but that version is also full of hurry up and other irritating messages. Basically, the game is best played with real people.

I recommend this game highly as it is simple to understand but surprisingly deep, and I think it would be great if more people tried it out, especially as I am currently obsessed with the game! If I am logged in, give me a call, as I am always up for a sesh.
Shobu

Re: Dou Di Zhu / Fight the Landlord

Post by Shobu »

count me in! one of the very best 3player card game
This game is a true gem (in the climbing Top tier, alongside Guan Dan and Tien Len)
I secretly hoped there was a surprise boom for this game on BGA, but it's pretty hard to find opponent ... It may do well with time though

PS: there's a very nice 4player variant, but it's almost like a different game)

PS1: the "hurry" message on fighttheboss made me leave the site .. a pity as it was excellent, i wonder if the message are automated, or if players are THAT impatient lol)

PS2: i made a group for climbing game matchmaking https://boardgamearena.com/group?id=13051623

PS3: Sasaki is a nice little game, a bit misundertood as at heart it's very much a bidding game.
board33

Re: Dou Di Zhu / Fight the Landlord

Post by board33 »

Shobu wrote: 09 January 2023, 15:19 count me in! one of the very best 3player card game
This game is a true gem (in the climbing Top tier, alongside Guan Dan and Tien Len)
I secretly hoped there was a surprise boom for this game on BGA, but it's pretty hard to find opponent ... It may do well with time though

PS: there's a very nice 4player variant, but it's almost like a different game)

PS1: the "hurry" message on fighttheboss made me leave the site .. a pity as it was excellent, i wonder if the message are automated, or if players are THAT impatient lol)

PS2: i made a group for climbing game matchmaking https://boardgamearena.com/group?id=13051623

PS3: Sasaki is a nice little game, a bit misundertood as at heart it's very much a bidding game.
+ 1 for Guan Dan

Return to “"Beta" games”