What Are "Standard Settings" for New Games?

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Nihilus

What Are "Standard Settings" for New Games?

Post by Nihilus »

Read some people don't like Mega. So what's the most played or most preferred version of TTR?
ExaltedAngel

Re: What Are "Standard Settings" for New Games?

Post by ExaltedAngel »

Just the basic game. 2 players is preferred by the pros, even tho some also like multi, while casual players generally prefer 4p or 5p. 3p is usually never played since it's unbalanced, but it still makes some sense in a "do not be last" tournament format
Ceaseless

Post by Ceaseless »

ExaltedAngel wrote: 28 April 2024, 02:46 Just the basic game. 2 players is preferred by the pros, even tho some also like multi, while casual players generally prefer 4p or 5p. 3p is usually never played since it's unbalanced, but it still makes some sense in a "do not be last" tournament format
What do you mean by 3p being unbalanced in particular? Sure, I'd expect it to be unbalanced, that's just the norm for any kind of player interactive game with more than 2 players, but what makes 3p worse than 4p or 5p?
menettm

Post by menettm »

At 3p you have not the double routes!
If one player takes a route (double) that you want, maybe the second player can take another route which was your backup route and so block you.
ExaltedAngel

Post by ExaltedAngel »

Ceaseless wrote: 28 April 2024, 12:09 What do you mean by 3p being unbalanced in particular? Sure, I'd expect it to be unbalanced, that's just the norm for any kind of player interactive game with more than 2 players, but what makes 3p worse than 4p or 5p?
Menettm is right, the game is a lot more random when so many accidental blocks can occurr. Also in 3p for my experience very often one player has free game while the other two fight for the same area, thus gets an easy win. That's why I think the "do not be last" format makes sense in 3p, because in that kind of games it's not about fighting for first place but fighting for (not being) last instead.

However there are some 3p TTR maps that are designed for that player count specifically, such as Nordic Countries and Switzerland

Return to “Ticket to Ride”