Tips to make tournaments more attractive

Tournaments organization / Organisation des tournois
max984

Tips to make tournaments more attractive

Post by max984 »

Hi guys,

I've created my first tournament, but for now, there are only we inscription, not even enouth to start the tournament.

Do you have any suggestion to give me? How to sporsorise my tournament?

Thank you in advance for your help!
Mathew5000

Re: Tips to make tournaments more attractive

Post by Mathew5000 »

max984 wrote: 06 April 2024, 20:23I've created my first tournament, but for now, there are only we inscription, not even enouth to start the tournament.

Do you have any suggestion to give me? How to sporsorise my tournament?
Never heard that word before, sporsorise! But I get the gist of your question. The answer is, the blue button on the tournament page labelled "Invite players to this tournament".

When I create a tournament, I usually look at recently concluded tournaments of the same game, and invite players who participated in those, especially players who finished near the top of the standings. Usually I check their player profile before sending an invite, so that I don't invite players with low reputation or many "overtime" penalties.

Some of the players I invite will join, and then it seems others follow. (Perhaps BGA has an algorithm that will bring the tournament to the attention of more players, if several people have joined already? I don't really know.)
Meeplelowda

Post by Meeplelowda »

Mathew5000 wrote: 12 April 2024, 16:33 When I create a tournament, I usually look at recently concluded tournaments of the same game, and invite players who participated in those, especially players who finished near the top of the standings.
Another source for invite targets is the elite league of the Arena for that game (if your tournament settings align with the Arena settings) and people you've played against that you have green thumbed (presumably because you liked playing with them).
philnewone

Post by philnewone »

max984 wrote: 06 April 2024, 20:23 Do you have any suggestion to give me? How to sporsorise my tournament?
Having looked at what I suppose is the tournament that you referred to ( https://boardgamearena.com/tournament?id=284849 ), I see that it was a turn-based one but you only allocated 24 hours to each player. If the time-zones work out badly, it can easily occur that the opponent who precedes you in the playing order tends to play just after you've gone to bed. Then if you have to go to work the following day and so don't have a chance to play until the evening, virtually the whole of 24 hours can get used up on your first turn. So I would never join a tournament with such a timing, and you can see in this forum lots of people complaining about having run out of time in such a situation, so presumably they wouldn't join either. So, you would make your tournament much more attractive, at least to me and presumably those others, if you made sure that you allowed a number of days equal to approximately the number of turns you expect a player to have in the game. Maybe allow a bit less on the assumption that people will be able to synchronise better at weekends, but basically that sort of order.
Meeplelowda

Post by Meeplelowda »

philnewone wrote: 17 April 2024, 20:40I see that it was a turn-based one but you only allocated 24 hours to each player. If the time-zones work out badly, it can easily occur that the opponent who precedes you in the playing order tends to play just after you've gone to bed. Then if you have to go to work the following day and so don't have a chance to play until the evening, virtually the whole of 24 hours can get used up on your first turn.
If it's 24h with no playing hours set, then that's pretty tight. But with playing hours, and depending on the number of players per game, it can be reasonable. It depends on the game. The three tournaments I've run had 30 hrs per player, but they all had playing hours set. I don't recall there being a problem with people timing out. However, this was a game in which there could be no more than 15 turns per player, so it just required an average of 3 moves per day by each player to finish within the allotted time, sometimes fewer.
max984

Post by max984 »

Thankyou for all your answer!!! :D

Return to “Tournaments / Les tournois”