How can I tell what is the "original language" for any particular game?

BGA localization discussions
nibblenoevil

How can I tell what is the "original language" for any particular game?

Post by nibblenoevil »

How can I tell what "original language" was used when publishing a particular game? In other words, the language used for a game, without any translation?

I ask because, when I play a game in my language (English), and I find a typo, or some awkward language, etc, I'm never quite sure what is the best way to help fix it.
(a) if the game is natively/originally in English (so I am seeing an issue in the native/original text), I think I should submit a bug report (so that the native/original text can be fixed), but
(b) if the game has been translated to English (so I am seeing an issue in the translated text), I think I should submit a translation change.

How can I tell the difference? Thanks for your help!
Thomas

Re: How can I tell what is the "original language" for any particular game?

Post by Thomas »

The „original language“ for all online game adaptions on BGA is English, no matter, what the original language of the printed boardgame is.

If there is a grammar, syntax or typography error, you can edit the „English to English“ translation.
Example: „the bleu line“ => „the blue line“.

If the meaning of a text differs between the English text on BGA and the original printed boardgame, you should create a bug report at https://boardgamearena.com/bugs to inform the developer.
Example: „in case of a tie, the player with the most empty spaces wins“ <≠> „in case of a tie, the player with the least empty spaces wins“
nibblenoevil

Re: How can I tell what is the "original language" for any particular game?

Post by nibblenoevil »

That answers my question perfectly - thank you!

Return to “Translations”