Two actions mostly all the time please

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
Phoxtrot

Re: Two actions mostly all the time please

Post by Phoxtrot »

Personally I would prefer that selling cards wasn't considered an action (or considered a "free" action).
happy-smile

Post by happy-smile »

Playing 1 action at the time is desirable in many situations. It is very likely that your opponent will do the same, but that is how it works. Many times you just need them to do their actions in "correct" order, to be able to achieve what you need. That is how the game works and it is part of the game. Pushing players for 2 actions is only to speed up the game but it does not bring any benefits, only disrupt the strategy.

Some reasons to play 1 action at the time are: You try to get bonus from global parameters, you want to play a card with requirement, you need to know if you should claim a milestone or you can do something more useful at the moment, you want to know if player is about to finish the game so you need to decide to which cards to prioritize, thank to a good card draw you now got 2 possibilities where to go and you wanna see which way the opponent is going before desiding, you expect player to put a new city and you want to play urbanized area or commertial district, you expect player to give you some greenaries around your Noctis City before you reveal it, you know opponent has microbe/animal cards and you want them to play them/put resources there before revealing ants/predators, etc.

Sometimes it is opposite and it is desirable to do 2 actions, like when you try to get the milestones first, again when you try to get bonus from global parameters, you want to get a good spot on the map before opponent, you need to use your plants before they got destroyed, you try to max out global parameter before opponent because you know you can both do so, you wanna quickly fund awards before too late, etc.

Everything depends on current situation.
Last edited by happy-smile on 22 April 2024, 13:20, edited 1 time in total.
Azoken

Post by Azoken »

happy-smile wrote: 22 April 2024, 10:13 Pushing players for 2 actions is only to speed up the game
Well it's a pretty huge boon :D. Two month games can only take one !
happy-smile

Post by happy-smile »

Azoken wrote: 22 April 2024, 10:56
happy-smile wrote: 22 April 2024, 10:13 Pushing players for 2 actions is only to speed up the game
I can imagine that in a lot of players it can make a lot of downtime in turn based game. But then the same is drafting, would you give up the drafting only to speed up the game?
I basically play only 2player games, so it doesn't make big difference time-wise. We usually manage to meet some time during the day and move a game a lot.
SpajderDzerusalem

Post by SpajderDzerusalem »

happy-smile wrote: 22 April 2024, 11:01
Azoken wrote: 22 April 2024, 10:56
But then the same is drafting, would you give up the drafting only to speed up the game?
Yes, and I do.
Game is significantly better with drafting yet I often just put NO Draft to speed it up if I play turn based. that is the reason I would prefer mandatory 2 actions pre-game option too.
I do find that most people do two actions anyway ATM, so I always do two actions as well, unless they start 1 actioning.
Shufflepants

Post by Shufflepants »

Yet another reason 1 action may be necessary I haven't seen mentioned. Suppose in a single generation that you have exactly 3 actions you want to do. For example, suppose you have zero energy production and you need to play Earth Office in order to have enough money to play Lunar Beam which gives 2 energy production, and then finally play Capital that requires you to sacrifice 2 energy production. If you were to play both Earth Office and Lunar beam in your first turn, there is a chance that before your turn comes back around an opponent could play one of the cards that steals one of your energy production; making it now impossible to play Capital this turn. But if on your first turn you just play Earth Office and skip, then next turn you can play Energy Beam and Capital together in the same turn with no opportunity for an opponent to steal your energy production. There are many many examples like this. Many cards that require a single energy prod, and many that produce a single energy that could get stolen if not played on the same turn. If you can't sometimes play one action and skip, you might end up on the wrong parity and be screwed.
happy-smile

Post by happy-smile »

Shufflepants wrote: 26 April 2024, 13:05 Yet another reason 1 action may be necessary I haven't seen mentioned. Suppose in a single generation that you have exactly 3 actions you want to do. For example, suppose you have zero energy production and you need to play Earth Office in order to have enough money to play Lunar Beam which gives 2 energy production, and then finally play Capital that requires you to sacrifice 2 energy production. If you were to play both Earth Office and Lunar beam in your first turn, there is a chance that before your turn comes back around an opponent could play one of the cards that steals one of your energy production; making it now impossible to play Capital this turn. But if on your first turn you just play Earth Office and skip, then next turn you can play Energy Beam and Capital together in the same turn with no opportunity for an opponent to steal your energy production. There are many many examples like this. Many cards that require a single energy prod, and many that produce a single energy that could get stolen if not played on the same turn. If you can't sometimes play one action and skip, you might end up on the wrong parity and be screwed.
Yes and the same is if you need to prioritize a card for some reason (discount, getting bonus, get to requirement etc.), and the next card gives you plants which you need to place your greenary. Then you are not going to play that plants-card as second action as there is too high risk they might be stolen. You do one action, skip, and then you play plants-card and do the greenary as second action. We could find many examples like this. Like you can place a forest as second action, but you need to build city first.
Draffut

Post by Draffut »

Calmon70 wrote: 14 April 2024, 11:14 While I disagree with the Topic I would have wished that selling cards would't count as action at all. Makes especially last turn often last too long because people ping pong selling 1 card.
Or just make it a once per generation thing.
happy-smile

Post by happy-smile »

Draffut wrote: 02 May 2024, 20:00
Calmon70 wrote: 14 April 2024, 11:14 While I disagree with the Topic I would have wished that selling cards would't count as action at all. Makes especially last turn often last too long because people ping pong selling 1 card.
As you said in another topic, slippery slope of a million house rules people want ;)
Draffut

Post by Draffut »

happy-smile wrote: 02 May 2024, 21:36
Draffut wrote: 02 May 2024, 20:00
As you said in another topic, slippery slope of a million house rules people want ;)
I don't think that should be implemented on here in any way..

Return to “Terraforming Mars”