This implementation is horribly buggy, slow, and poorly designed.

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
GTSchemer

Re: This implementation is horribly buggy, slow, and poorly designed.

Post by GTSchemer »

lemonacid wrote: 18 April 2024, 17:32 I also alpha tested this game implementation and while it has come along way, I can not comprehend why this version was allowed to go live yet. There is still so much to be done and a few very big bugs, like the asteroid and algae interaction.
Do you mean https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=109230? That bug is marked as fixed. If not, can you please link the bug reports so they can be triaged?
lemonacid

Post by lemonacid »

GTSchemer wrote: 18 April 2024, 17:40 Do you mean https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=109230? That bug is marked as fixed. If not, can you please link the bug reports so they can be triaged?
lol yeah, do you see the problem now? yes it is marked as fixed but it hasn't been fixed which is why new reports on this were already openend.
GTSchemer

Post by GTSchemer »

lemonacid wrote: 18 April 2024, 17:44
GTSchemer wrote: 18 April 2024, 17:40 Do you mean https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=109230? That bug is marked as fixed. If not, can you please link the bug reports so they can be triaged?
lol yeah, do you see the problem now? yes it is marked as fixed but it hasn't been fixed which is why new reports on this were already openend.
As I requested, can you please link the new bug reports which were opened?

Also, can you specify exactly which interaction is bugged, or what choice is missing? We need precise steps to reproduce and correct.

For example, Giant Ice Asteroid should now offer a choice -- previously, before April 14, this was not the case.

I note you opened https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=118823 (corrected as described above on April 14).
Hendy64

Post by Hendy64 »

I don't know about slow and buggy, but it is a horrible implementation IMO. If you've ever played the Steam version, you will see what I mean. This one is terribly lacking by comparison. I know that copyright and IP have to be a concern for the game developers. So it cannot be easy to get it right. However, the worst part of this game design is layout. I have a very large TV for a monitor set at 4K resolution. There is no magnification or setting that allows me to see the entire playing field. I have to scroll all over the screen to see what I need to see. This is very time consuming, frustrating, and makes game play very clunky and doesn't allow for heads-up or quick assessments at-a-glance. Apart from a total redesign, I cannot play the BGA version. It is a shame. I love BGA. I love the official board game that comes in the box. I do not love this version of the game. I'm sure that lots of people can get past all that and other issues, but I won't be playing unless I hear of some massive changes.
keirdre

Post by keirdre »

Works fine for me, even on my smartphone. Nothing wrong with it at all!
GravyAnecdote

Post by GravyAnecdote »

I've been finding it better than the Steam version, to be honest. Now Prelude is included in Alpha, I'll choose this one over Steam. The BGA one has more stuff visible on a single screen: it's way better. I think the BGA implementation is great.
Dendroaspis

Post by Dendroaspis »

It does seem like some of the settings could have better defaults. It took me a while to realize I could speed up animations, for example. I also find the throughout the game I have to adjust the card sizes/map size to make sure things keep fitting on my screen--it would be nice for this to be automated.

There are a couple interactions that seem a little buggy but these are easy to work around. "Advanced pass" sometimes fails if you click it while another player is taking an action, but you can just try again. Also I sometimes run into an issue where card selection becomes hard--each card seems to have a much smaller clickable area than it should.

Otherwise, I think this implementation is great; it's far, far better than the iOS implementation. Most of my two players games take under an hour. I like all the options for grouping cards.
Magnus3740

Post by Magnus3740 »

I am in my fourth game and so far this implementation is annoying. My cursor just spins after every action I take. Even playing 2 player live my cursor would spin when it switched to my turn. It's almost like it freezes trying to load. The only way I know it's my turn is the other open bga tabs have the rotating triangle to let me know.
https://imgur.com/a/Urw76fB

Take an action, refresh. Take another action, refresh...
HoganLong

Post by HoganLong »

Sound like you are playing on a toaster. Have you considered more modern hardware that can handle the game. Maybe don't run other things if you can't upgrade. (eg reboot your phone before playing.)
Yahyra

Post by Yahyra »

Indeed the issue may be on your end, person complaining. BGA runs fine on my device, no cursor wait etc. .

Return to “Terraforming Mars”