Wingspan variant

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
ZenVee

Wingspan variant

Post by ZenVee »

Can we get a variant where you get 6 random starting food instead of 5 of each type before you have to discard?

This would add real variety to the game rather than a contest of who gets dealt the best birds at the start. If you start with chipping sparrow and ruddy duck and the other guy gets the trash birds it's game over at turn zero.

With 6 random food of course there will be some games that still play out the same, but I'm sure there will be more games where birds that cost 2 food of 1 type would be playable at the start rather than being almost unplayable.

Too many Wingspan games are just contests of who draws the best starting birds. I know I'm right too because I've beaten top level players and lost helplessly to beginner players and reviewed the game to confirm there's not much that could really be done. Forcing players to make more decisions would add variety and new levels of skill to the game.
nccc

Re: Wingspan variant

Post by nccc »

No houserules on bga.
ZenVee

Post by ZenVee »

House rules have been implemented already.

1. No power birds
2. No Wood duck

I'm sure most people who play this game a lot would agree you can tell if you're going to have a rough game or not based on what your starting 5 birds are.
Remkar

Post by Remkar »

ZenVee wrote: 22 May 2024, 06:03 House rules have been implemented already.

1. No power birds
2. No Wood duck

I'm sure most people who play this game a lot would agree you can tell if you're going to have a rough game or not based on what your starting 5 birds are.
Those aren't house rules, those are officially approved variants.

You'd have to first petition the game designer/publisher and get them to officially authorize your variant.
Then ask for permission for it to be implemented on BGA.
Then get someone to implement it.
ZenVee

Post by ZenVee »

It's a shame that birds like Acorn Woodpecker will NEVER be the correct play in 99.9% of real game situations. Doing random food instead of the static start would make the game better. Push people, push! make this an officially approved variant.

https://navarog.github.io/wingsearch/card/2

And the other side of the coin is that it's boring that Ruddy duck or chipping sparrow will ALWAYS be an auto-include in the starting hand in 99.9% of real games.

Return to “Wingspan”