ON/OFF Mode for Friendly Robber

Forum rules
Please DO NOT POST BUGS on this forum. Please report (and vote) bugs on : https://boardgamearena.com/bugs
jean roucas

ON/OFF Mode for Friendly Robber

Post by jean roucas »

Hello everyone,
I love playing Catan, and I think it's a very good game. Despite this, it can have a strong power of frustration, especially when you miss your start of the game haha, in short.

I find that the key to the game lies in the positioning of the first colonies.

Taking into account the fact that a large majority of players unofficially apply the "idle thief" rule until a player reaches 3 victory points, or all players have reached 3 victory points; the positioning of the first colonies can integrate a notion of reduced risk, because the resources granted by the second colony are acquired until we obtain 3 points.

For me the game is interesting with or without this rule, but the game becomes frustrating when doubt remains and it has a hard impact on the strategy choices at the start of the game.

For those who don't like this rule, but also for those who prefer to use it, is it possible to have an ON/OFF mode to configure before starting a game?

I don't know if it's possible for a moderator to modify my topic to make it a poll, but if you want to give your opinion and vote for or against ON/OFF mode, that will move the situation forward.

(texte traduit avec google depuis le français)
DVC

Re: ON/OFF Mode for Friendly Robber

Post by DVC »

I’d be in favour of a “OFF/ON” switch, so that I can start games with it OFF and I can avoid lengthy negotiation in the chat. Friendly robber is a variant, NOT a rule, and it shouldn’t be expected.
Ravaaga

Post by Ravaaga »

I’m so in favor of this. It is part of the game and should be included.
Mathew5000

Post by Mathew5000 »

jean roucas wrote: 16 May 2024, 13:42 I don't know if it's possible for a moderator to modify my topic to make it a poll, but if you want to give your opinion and vote for or against ON/OFF mode, that will move the situation forward.
https://boardgamearena.com/bug?id=63126

It was suggested over two years ago and the situation still has not moved forward.
sparklingwaterr

Post by sparklingwaterr »

that would be nice to have a button of on/off and the players to vote on it before starting the game. for long time i thought friendly robber is good, but nope, sometimes is just advantaging the strongest one.
TheDoktorWho

Post by TheDoktorWho »

A button would be great for this. If it is discussed ahead and accepted that's one thing. But often times people seem to assume friendly robber even without asking and then get super angry and upset when you role a 7 and steal from them. It should just stop being a thing altogether, but a button would help
DVC

Post by DVC »

I see that there is now an “easy start” mode. I can’t find anything on the site detailing what this is. Has anyone tried it? Is it FR by another name, or some other variant?
TheDadshine

Post by TheDadshine »

Yes, it’s re-roll 7s for the first 2 orbits, so kind of friendly robber, but not quite.
darhf

Post by darhf »

The friendly robber is now available as a table option.
DVC

Post by DVC »

TheDadshine wrote: 22 May 2024, 14:07 Yes, it’s re-roll 7s for the first 2 orbits, so kind of friendly robber, but not quite.
Well, that’s completely different. I don’t mind that option personally (better than FR), but it doesn’t resolve the issue! People will still want to wait till 3VP and get narked if you don’t.

Return to “Catan”