Can we stop saying 'gg' when It clearly wasn't!

Discussions about BGA (all languages)
Forum rules
Warning: challenging a moderation in Forum = 10 days ban
More info & details about how to challenge a moderation: viewtopic.php?p=119756
DoctorFianchetto

Re: Can we stop saying 'gg' when It clearly wasn't!

Post by DoctorFianchetto »

All valid reasons, but it's still a pet peeve. Wait until the game actually ends! :lol:
RobertBr

Post by RobertBr »

DoctorFianchetto wrote: 06 May 2024, 14:19 All valid reasons, but it's still a pet peeve. Wait until the game actually ends! :lol:
I will say something in certain games at the point where it is impossible for myself or my opponent to win. I don't see the point in pretending that the game isn't over because some book keeping is necessary, and turn based I may not be around to say it.

Its perfectly fine to have a pet peeve over this, as it is over 'gg', as long as you remember that a pet peeve is by definition something that irritates you but which you are not *justified* in being irritated by.
RodMacD

Post by RodMacD »

Unless there's a BGA convention for how to politely thank your opponent, people are going to say different things (or nothing) and there's no way to know how they mean it or how it will be received.

Best not to let it irritate you.
Jellby

Post by Jellby »

RodMacD wrote: 07 May 2024, 21:56 Unless there's a BGA convention for how to politely thank your opponent, [...]
There is. In the chat window, you can select between different pre-cooked phrases, among them "Thanks for the game" (or similar). Several advantages in using this: (1) no need to reach for the keyboard, (2) the other players will see it translated to their interface language (I believe), and (3) it's clearly a stock phrase, so much less "responsibility" in the choice of words.
AutumnCamel

Post by AutumnCamel »

People are just being polite. It's nothing personal. Its just a game, why take it so seriously.
ChiefPointThief

Post by ChiefPointThief »

DoctorFianchetto wrote: 06 May 2024, 14:19 All valid reasons, but it's still a pet peeve. Wait until the game actually ends! :lol:
I started saying it early to a couple of frequent arena players because they were only saying "Thanks for the game" when they won. I wanted to confirm that they saw my "gg" or "thanks for the game" messages so I would say it 1 turn before the game end.
I believe the majority of players sincerely mean it. There is only a small % that have ill intent.
nik592 wrote: 06 May 2024, 10:47
T72on1 wrote: 06 May 2024, 07:49 Can we stop making new 'gg' topics when there are clearly already lots of topics about this very subject?

Thank you.
I mean, I don't entirely disagree with you, but is this significantly different than if the OP had dug out one of the old threads and posted their comment there instead? Common problems get regular discussion, and it's not like there's a single answer here that would end the discussion, there's lots of different perspectives (and often you get different people weighing in at different times).
I've only seen this topic a few times. It is nowhere near as bad as others like "dice are rigged" threads.
Boudica of Celtia

Post by Boudica of Celtia »

Jellby wrote: 06 May 2024, 13:41 I can see someone saying "gg" in all the following situations:

1. It's the final turn, they're miles ahead and no chance for you to catch them: gg
2. It's the final turn, they're miles behind and no chance for them to catch you: gg
3. It's the final turn, they've done their best and now, depending on your move/dice/cards, they may win or lose; in any case: gg
4. They see you have the chance to finish and take the victory, even if you don't see it: gg
5. They believe you have no chance to beat them, even if you see a possible path to prove them wrong: gg
This is gold :D
Says You

Post by Says You »

RobertBr wrote: 06 May 2024, 15:49
I will say something in certain games at the point where it is impossible for myself or my opponent to win. I don't see the point in pretending that the game isn't over because some book keeping is necessary, and turn based I may not be around to say it.

Its perfectly fine to have a pet peeve over this, as it is over 'gg', as long as you remember that a pet peeve is by definition something that irritates you but which you are not *justified* in being irritated by.
That's not what a pet peeve is. It's just something an individual finds particularly annoying to them. It could be totally justified.

Frankly, I don't like the premature "gg", either. It doesn't matter the reason. Saying it early generally ruins the intended polite gesture regardless. Just wait till the end, please. Thanks.

As far as the OP, clearly the intention is the be polite, not to truly comment on the nature of the game itself. When I have a really hard fought game, I write a message related to the outcome, such as, "You played that last move perfectly, gg." So, I'd say you're reading too much into it.
RobertBr

Post by RobertBr »

Says You wrote: 22 May 2024, 14:09 That's not what a pet peeve is. It's just something an individual finds particularly annoying to them. It could be totally justified.
Wrong, you are getting confused over the linguistic range of the word 'justified'. But then that sort of sloppy use of language is just a pet peeve of mine - it doesn't actually matter.
pbjme

Post by pbjme »

Rather than a ‘gg’ when you’ve faired poorly, try a ‘*’ or ‘*’. I find either to be equally cathartic when all I want to do is yell at the cosmos for the injustice of my loss.

*Moderator edit: please refrain from swearing on BGA, this is a family-friendly platform.

Return to “Discussions”